Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

British West Africa 1942 1 Shilling - Grade Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
537 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  11:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I've never been terribly good at this so I would like to just get some opinions on the grade of this coin. Not a valuable coin by any means. I see lots of detail but especially on the obverse but I'm interested in others' opinions as I try to get better

thank you

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16637 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nearly EF, (British grading).

Prefer to use Sheldon only for American coins.
Valued Member
Australia
263 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gVF
Pillar of the Community
United States
537 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you. I have some questions if you will bear with me. Using the Krause definitions, where does a British almost EF fit? And my apologies but is gVF meant to indicate Good to VF? Is the toning or surface spotting the issue driving the grading down? The details on the crown and the palm leaves seems pretty strong. This is a $1 coin I get that, so this is really more for my education. What drives the grade down to a good to VF?

I'm reading Krause and VF20 is 75% of the detail and XF40 is 95% of the detail. Not sure how to make that determination. this seems to maybe be in between?

Thanks for more clarification
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1455 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gVF is good Very Fine (a bit better than Very Fine).
I'd agree with gVF. There is a lot of detail but there is some wear especially on the King's hair and cheek, and the dings show it has circulated a bit too. Grading isn't a science but I've seen VF described as no major details worn away.

Good buy for $1 I think anyway.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3139 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the same type in sharper grade.
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...4c99208a9d81

I would point out the details in the vegetation at base of the palm tree as another difference .. and I agree with the other comments on wear to cheek. At US grader I suspect it would get in the XF range, though others out here are better at these estimations than I am.
Pillar of the Community
United States
537 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for more details (no pun intended). I see the wear to the hair and cheek especially comparing to the one graded higher. the vegetation is also more worn than I would have known not having seen a non-worn one. I'm happy with it either way. I appreciate the help and education
Valued Member
New Zealand
296 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Obverse is very nice as its quite deep below the rim.

The Reverse shows a lot more wear on King George with flattened cheeks and wear on crown, eyebrows and hair. I would say its actually aVF rather than VF. It is more in line with a coin nearing Fine that very Fine sorry.

Obv EF+/Rev aVF - gFine (Overall VF)

And to help the gradations I use are Fine - gFine - aVF - Very Fine - gVF - aEF - EF etc.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very little wear and luster remaining, AU-50.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05