Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 S LMC..some Obverse Doubling, RPM?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 654Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  06:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
That's what I see but I can't match it up to anything on Wexlers sight. The dohe ubling is easier for me to see in person on the date. The mint mark I can't tell if it's a retained die break behind it or another S.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1143 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a floating roof good luck and happy hunting
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing behind the MM?
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this MD?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33593 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a floating roof. Not a DDO. Not a DDR. Not a RPM,sorry.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, I thought you were taking a shot at me...
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Different person said sorry , was he taking a jab at me with a floating roof reply?
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also I see a normal business strike 69S is topping out at 64 on the PCGS sight. Should I take a shot at grading these. My other one is much better.

Edit: I was probably only looking at 1 color for that grade
Edited by Chicago23
03/07/2020 1:05 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33593 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth slabbing,sorry.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be your light source. I can't see any DD or RPM. And the floating roof is when they polish the die between the roof and the building so much that the side line is gone. I can still see both of them on your coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44428 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal. If it were a doubled die, your setup would have shown it. If you are looking at the outside edges of devices, that is where you will find the common Machine Doubling. Hub doubling is on the centers of the devices, not on the outside edges.

Note how the devices are enlarged and they are showing spread (enlargement) on the middle of the devices:

Machine Doubling is caused by the machine. Doubled dies are created on the die, thus the term doubled die. Machine Doubling can happen on doubled dies and often does show on that years big DDO:

Note the yellow arrows? These coins are doubled dies, but the arrows point to where the machine caused the doubling. (not legit doubling) but most the DDO that year/mint had Machine Doubling on the less than 100 examples found. (So these are very rare) 130 Examples of MD were submitted to PCGS to be graded and they came back a normal coins with a grade of coin grading.

A few images of these.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44428 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So let me ask a question. Here is one of the examples that were submitted
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34740592
Note the grade and estimated value of this machine doubled coin. $12.00 You might think there could be a profit here. But if you had to pay more than $12 to have it graded, you would be in a loss. (also figuring in shipling and insurance which most require it you mail them the coin)
So see the image on the right. Click on it and enlarge it and you can see the Machine Doubling. So everyone that finds a 1969-S comes on there and thinks they have found the holy grail, but the 1968-1972 cent had a lot of Machine Doubling on them. So much so that the mint changed they striking procedure on the 1973 cents to stop this from happening so often. (with a stronger strike that year)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Coop, had a anniversary to attend. I'll dissect what you sent and get back to you
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It said that coin auctioned off at 125...probably doubled his money no pun intended
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chicago23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think what confused me on this coin (I knew this wasn't the holy grail, you could tell from my topic title. I thought it was like the 55D) what confused me is when Machine Doubling is rounded and not squared off. And I haven't compared but his face looks like it's xtra thick across his cheekbone plus the MM having something behind it.
Edited by Chicago23
03/07/2020 8:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44428 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We get the 1969-S cent issue almost daily. Someone finds a normal one and it starts all over again.
Richard S. Cooper

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 654Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05