Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Identify This

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 574Next Topic  

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  4:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add expat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this coin which is significantly damaged. On one side is SKILLING and NORGE and on the other only E.M
Obviously Norwegian or Danish but from what era or its denomination?

Learn More...
United States
16051 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@expat, having the diameter and weight of this coin would help, but it looks like you have some denomination of SKilling from late 17th Century Norway. Here is a numista link to the 24 SKilling (which is not an exact match, but hopefully gets you closer):

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces82372.html
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add expat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I tried numista and could only find one with SKILLING DANSK on it.
It measures 22mm and in its current state weighs 4g
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Skilling issued during reign of King Christian VI (1730-1746)? This is the best I could come up with:

Skilling - Christian VI king of Denmark, Norway, Vandals and Goths
King: Christian VI
Reign/Years: 1730-1746
Obverse: crowned lion holding an axe facing left
Value: Skilling
Currency: Mark (1523-1746)
Composition: Silver (.562) * I'm sure this isn't exact but a guestimate

"There is nothing more fascinating than collecting coins, all history is summed up in them...they are the story of humanity."
W.H. Valentine (1856-1927)

eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/globalcoin...collectibles
eBay ID: https://www.ebay.com/usr/sellingsecretslegit
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add expat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tried 3D imaging and enhancing the colour inbetween letters. Nothing, I think it is too worn. The other problem is, the period I think it is from 1720-1780 there seem to be no examples to compare it to. Numista have no photos for much of this period
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3381 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am wondering if it is some kind of token, forgery or garage job (I am leaning toward the last).

I can't match that size and design to any known denomination. As @spence points out, the design elements most closely match that 24 skilling coin, but I don;t see a smaller denomination with the same design in the 18th century (the large crown does not appear to have been used before the 18th c.), and if I did, would have expected to see a number before the word SKILLING (4, 8, 12...).

The 8 skilling KM-224 1727-1735 (3.67 g) has the lion and crown but not this legend.

The 12 skilling KM-217 1717-24 (3.9 g) matches the weight pretty well, but does not have the lion design either side.

And I don't see anything with adjacent letters E M.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
282 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too am suspicious about this coin. There are a number of things that do not match. The lion design was used on Norwegian coins until the 18th century and at that time the country's name on coins was written as NOR (for latin NORVIE, on occasion the complete latin name was spelled out). The Norwegian name of the country, NORGE, which I think I can read at 7-9 o'clock on the lion side, was not used on coins until the 19th century.

Also, the letters are sans serif, a style of lettering that came around 1900 and on Norwegian coins I don't think it was used until after WWII.

Perhaps this is a beaten up 20th century token of some kind? Maybe the "E M" has something to do with the issuer, although I have no idea what it might stand for.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add expat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you all for your efforts.My wife´s family live in Bergen, Norway, and they have taken the image around to dealers and none of them can place it.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3078 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am wondering if it is some kind of token, forgery or garage job (I am leaning toward the last).
I'm guessing button, personally.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 574Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05