Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seeking Advice On What This Carinus (Roman Emperor 283-5ad) Gold Object Is

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 638Next Topic  

United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  07:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ericccshiu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear like-minded coin enthusiasts,
My friend of German origin asked me this Carinus gold object. Very pristine. He cleaned it from the hoard (this object is not modern-made or fake for sure). One side is the bust of Carinus, the other side is just the back of the bust. 3.16 grams. The way it was struck makes it look like a bracteate, but there was no Roman empire bracteate in around 300AD, right? Maybe a medallion, but an ancient Roman gold medallion is heavier? Won't be a coin because the other side should have some design such as a Roman goddess holding a globe or spear. So what is this gold object?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
If you think this is modern-made, please skip this post and don't answer because I am very sure this gold object is ancient and highly likely to be authentic.
Does any member know if Roman empire made gold bracteate? Does any member know if this Carinus gold object of 3.16 grams can be a gold medallion which was given by the emperor to a recipient as a precious gift?
Thank you for any constructive advice you could give to me.
Eric

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16971 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree:
Certainly not a coin.

Gold is soft.
Shows no sign of damage or wear, what is the basis of your thinking that it may be of ancient origin, rather than just feeling sure about it?
Can the story regarding provenance be independently provable, rather than just a claim?

Need a picture of the other side.

XRF test would prove ancient or otherwise, looking for trace impurities, not gold. The ancients were unable to refine their gold much beyond about 95% pure.
A modern gold alloy would only have copper as an alloy, and nothing else.
Take it to a scrap jewelry buyer or bullion dealer, they would have a hand held instrument.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably from the same "hoard" as this one: http://goccf.com/t/368499
Learn More...
United States
22981 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to move this over to the ancient coin section. We have an expert there that know all about this dynasty of emperors. If this is real he will be able to say for sure.

I just sent him a message, hopefully he will be along soon to check it out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5869 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a modern piece of jewelry sprung from its holder. The lack of a reverse IMO indicates that it was probably never meant to be flipped over.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably from the same "hoard" as this one: http://goccf.com/t/368499

Strike two.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lettering style is all wrong for an ancient and the dotted border is wrong
Who would make such a piece ?
Why do people claim they are visited by space ships that land in the woods behind the barn ?
Why do people say they talk to long dead ancestors ?

Because they are a few cards short of a full deck and/or sitting down in a bunker under Berlin waiting for General Zhukov to begin the grand finale
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericccshiu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thanks for all the comments.
I provide very close-up pictures of this gold "object". Maybe these pictures can give you more confident judgement if this is ancient or modern-made.

Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you believe these items are genuine and ancient, I suggest contacting the British Museum or one of the major auction houses such as Baldwin's, Spink or Dix Noonan Webb.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know I just now noticed the legend
N AVR CARINVS NOB CAES

Narcus ?

Busted ........

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Valued Member
Netherlands
408 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eddop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ericccshiu do you have a picture of the reverse?
Should be a aureus I suppose
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericccshiu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddop, I think the second picture up in this thread is the reverse while the first one is the obverse. Eric
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Narcus ?
Busted ........

Maybe there was one with the correct legend in the hoard, too?
(Or this was an attempt to go for broke and make a unique type)

Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it should just read "BIGGVS"

This thread is approximately what local cable access is to Netflix

Plea to Mods ........
Delete this embarrassing non sequitur of a discussion

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Learn More...
United States
22981 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eddop is our expert on coins of this dynasty, he replied to me that it is not a genuine coin. Any further discussion would be pointless. I've locked this topic.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 638Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05