Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Roll Hunting In The Corona Virus Pandemic

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,198Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For now, I am not looking through coins until the Corona virus is all over. I agree with accordselux.
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still acquiring rolls, but reduced in number for now. Getting them through bank drive-up since lobbies are essentially closed. I open wrappers in the garage and dispose of the paper quickly in a sealed container with a disinfectant wipe inside (and then into the trash). I then wash my hands and use hand sanitizer (3/4 91% alcohol and 1/4 aloe vera). And, I don't touch my face--easier said. Wash hands, and wash some more. Discarded coins are re-wrapped using a wrapper stash I've had for years. Wash and sanitizer again. Saved coins (very, very few lately) get an acetone bath, then are either placed in an album or 2x2. Wash again.

I'm holding onto the re-wrapped rolls for the time being--not pushing them out into broad circulation.

Pillar of the Community
United States
846 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of our banks have closed their lobbies. My main coin bank told me they would keep servicing my coin hobby since they know me well. But yesterday, I just cashed in $850 in dimes and nickels. They came outside to get them. They asked if I wanted more, but I felt guilty about asking for more, so I said no. I still have $500 in dimes to go through.
Pillar of the Community
United States
975 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I had this virus between thanksgiving and christmas. Someone at work got sick and by the end of the week everyone at work was sick and we all took it home and everyone at home got sick too, all respiratory. I went to a doctor and was told it was the flu and to go home and get rest and treat the symptoms, but I wasn't tested for the flu. Anyways I won't take chances but I do think I had it already.

As far as roll hunting, it's about impossible to get rolls of coins now or dump them. The banks are all closed and 2 hour lines for drive thru only. I won't do it.

If I can scrounge a roll or two if I have to stop somewhere for gas or something... maybe.
I'd feel a whole lot better if there was a simple antibody test to find out if you were exposed to it earlier. I find it hard to believe it wasn't traveling around the world from the wuhan international airport much earlier than after the announced it was a problem and named it. Before that point it was "the flu". Just no way they had a massive problem all at one in a week. It was building for months and travelling around the world before decembe in my opinion.

I think there's likely quite a few people around the world that were exposed before it was known and named and are recovered and just thought it was the flu.

If there were an antibody test it would be great to know for sure that I currently don't have to worry. I have to work through this regardless..

I enjoy coin roll hunting, but not knowing, I enjoy continuing to breathe more. Lol not worth the risk.
I'm not a germophobe, I wash my hands and don't touch my face and stuff hunting coins they are dirty clearly. Just too difficult to get them and not worth it overall at this time to even bother.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
03/28/2020 5:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16967 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as the coins themselves only are concerned,
CRH'ing can be as safe as it ever has been,

provided that

you drop all of the coins in a bucket of high concentration soapy water rinse them thoroughly, and let them stand in the water for an hour so. Keep the bucket of soapy water or the next batch.
Take all of the coins out, and let them dry naturally. The brown patina will protect them from the soap. Forget the red or red brown coins, they are most probably all new and all common.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOAP (not detergent) must be used. The soluble lipid fats in soap directly attack all viruses, and all viruses simply fall apart in the water. (Coronavirus included)
THAT is the reason why good ole soap 'n water is more effective than even alcohol hand sanitiser, and why all health authorities advise why we should all wash our hands often, preferably with soap 'n water.

Whenever I go to the bank, chemist, shopping or whatever, when I come home, I was my hands before doing anything else. I even regard my own car and exterior door handles to my house as a dirty COVID-19 environment.

Anything that I bring into my house is wiped with a damp soapy rag, and allowed to dry naturally.
Even fruit that I buy is dropped into a (separate) bucket of soapy water for 10 minutes, then rinse them in water.
Edited by sel_69l
03/28/2020 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
678 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bigkingdom, sorry, but there's zero chance you had it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Based on the r_0 value of this virus of 2 and the average incubation period of 4 days, the exponential growth rate from when you "had" it to now would imply that the virus would have infected all of the country and run its course by now. There are a lot of respiratory infections out there that aren't covid, and the timeline doesn't make sense unless you celebrated Thanksgiving in central Wuhan.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dmille2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stopped in at local BOA and got $20 in nickel rolls. Pulled my first 2 war time silvers!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26542 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great finds Dmille2!
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
Learn More...
United States
86166 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stopped in at local BOA and got $20 in nickel rolls. Pulled my first 2 war time silvers!
Excellent!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,198Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05