Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956/1956 D LWC Overdate

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,113Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46812 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage/die scratches/die gouges/die cracks/chips/cuds to the fields/design on a die will be raised. So if something is incuse on the die, it will be raised on the coins it strikes. The fields are the outside part of the die. The devices are incuse into the die. Thus on the coin the opposite happens. Fields are the lowest, the devices are raised and the bust is the highest point on the coins. So if something is rising on the fields, it is incuse on the die. If marks are incuse on the coin, then it is 99% chance of being damage. So these events that you are seeing on your coins are an incuse alteration on fields if they are raised on the fields. Not extra devices as if they were extra, then all the devices and the design would show double. That not happening on your coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. I had the same concern that's why I originally said overdate but as vindex stated maybe it's a repunch. I'm not sure if a number in the date would be repunched separately but surely you see why I asked after finding numerous more examples with the same issue
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to comment, this string was amazing in its logic and deduction based on the first principles of understanding die design and process. Probably the best analysis I as a beginner have read on what does "incuse" when looking for varieties. Awesome!
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks shantiom. I'm always comparing this to that or reading about possibilities of what can happen during the whole process of coin making. I'm surprised nobody mentioned that this must be a master die issue with this error showing up on philly and denver mint coins. It's common sense to me that when things match up there is something there. Here there are at least three coins from two different mints with the same anomaly. Seems obviously to me but what do I know. It may not be an overdate but something is there. I'll probably send it off one day to confirm my suspicions
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an animated overlay of the date using the tail of the 9 as an anchor point.

The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If these aren't 9s I need to go back and learn my ABC's and 123's
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing yokozuna. Thanks
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to say this is an overdate but something there matches p and d. Animated photo even has a third 9. Am I the only one seeing this? Anyone have an idea of what this is?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46812 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even these are not doubled dies:

Mike Diamond has some information on his site on these:
http://www.error-ref.com/1956-d_lin...ial_5_digit/
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/27/2020 7:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. I'm not sure what's there but its definitely something and it happened on p and d dies. At a minimum this is a master die issue since it's not limited to one mint. What would you do with these? If it's a master die issue shouldn't I report it or are master die issue nothing major?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a somewhat interesting Die Damage. I have several at different stages from start to I think finish on the Die. I also have a couple 1959's with the same marking.

Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks daves errors. I thought there must be examples of this. What was thought to be damage may turn out to be something else. Mine is clearly showing a almost complete 9 where yours show the lower leg. I would be very interested in seeing your 1959 maybe that will stop me from chasing my tail
Pillar of the Community
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RW: your coin is Die Damage the one I have shown is the start of said Damage I have coins that are the same as yours. DAMAGED DIE.
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks daves errors. I'll take your word for it seeing you have the same coins. Much appreciated
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2491 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  03:20 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Daves Errors has found the answer. The coin is showing die damage and some clash as well. The large mark and the chatter around the 9 seem to be die damage and the mark near the 6 looks like damage and could be clash marks as well.

The images of RW1010's coin that show Lincoln's neck and chin are showing the tell-tale clash line of the N from cents running from his beard to his bowtie. Here's a clash overlay I did last year for a post.

The more I studied this coin the more I'm almost sure I may have had one from the same dies. I may still have it somewhere, I'm just not sure where it is.

Nice call Daves Errors!

The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Edited by Yokozuna
09/28/2020 03:22 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,113Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 8.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05