Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Medallions Prime Ministers Of Canada

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 524Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  1:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add malibuwilliam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My Dad bought the silver set of medallions - 15 medallions in all. Each medallion is 1 oz. Should I try to sell it as a commemorative set or just sell it as silver?

I have no idea what to expect for a price. I see that silver is selling at just over $14 an oz. So that would be about $210 How much could I expect to make?

Thanks for your help
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6611 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not familiar with item and tried research eBay.

So I found sets, distributed by Shell, contain 15 medallions on blue card or plaque.
On NONE of the listings mentioned "Silver".

Asking price range CAD 30 - 230.

In one of the listings, there is interesting info regarding original price:
Plaque - $2.50
Medallions - 0.25 each.

However, you may have something different, more scarce and not offered for sale. I believe pictures will help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1956 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link to a Sterling Silver set that did not sell in 2019 with an opening price of $99.00 CAD...

https://auctions.colonialacres.com/...et_i33301457

"1867-1968 The Prime Ministers of Canada 15-coin Sterling Silver "From Sea to Sea" Commemorative Set in Nice Wooden Display Box. Made by the Welling's Mint, this set features a small Sterling Silver Medallion for every Canadian Prime Minister from John A. Macdonald in 1867 until Pierre Trudeau in 1968 (toned)"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3435 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Shell medallions have a zinc coating on them. In Canada they are almost worthless, especially when the zinc starts to corrode. I am sure that the OP can tell if it is the zinc version or something else that I have never heard of.
Learn More...
United States
86446 Posts
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malibuwilliam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clear up some confusion. Shell offered some medallion with each gas fill up. Those were the cheap tin zinc metals given out. But there was also a promotion to buy the same medallions made from silver and mounted in a wood plaque. It's these silver medallions that I'm talking about.
Learn More...
United States
86446 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3435 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How are those mounted on the placque? I am wondering if it is glue or some other way that has damaged the medallions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1227 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a set of those...and also the provinces (with flowers) offered the same way by Shell. Unfortunately I never got the displays for them, and they are 'stored' in rolls in a box - somewhere. I think they represent the very first collection I ever finished.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 524Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05