Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My White Whale Coin.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 855Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
194 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  08:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 1870 Newfoundland 5c was reportedly minted in two forms: one with obverse #1 and one with obverse #2. The two obverse portraits can be easily distinguished by the presence or absence of little dots on either side of "Newfoundland" on the obverse. Total mintage was 40,000 so they were pretty rare to start with; this is true of most of the Newfoundland 5c, they are a challenge to find in any condition above G/VG. However, the obverse #2 is exceptionally rare - only one certified example is known.

The thing is, I know in my bones that there is another one, possibly more out there. And I can tell you that whenever I go digging about for coins on ebay or at flea markets or my assorted other sources, I always have it in my mind that I will find one. There are a few others in the back of my mind (1873 10 c obv#1, 1885 10c obv #3) but for some reason I really want to find a sibling for that solitary 1870 5c.

I'm curious to know whether any of you have such coins? If so which ones and why?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This should be moved to the Canadian forum... not sure why "Staff" moved it into "World":
http://goccf.com/f/32

FWIW... Geoffrey Bell and other Canadian firms have used iCollector as it's out of BC. Worth digging through its online archive...
https://www.icollector.com/Nfld-187...ly_i21767143

When you say "only one cert.", does that mean PCGS/NGC(/ANACS?!)... ICCS/CCCS... all of them? Is the above linked piece THAT coin?

BTW - I know nothing about these, just playing along. I will say that I agree with:

"The thing is, I know in my bones that there is another one, possibly more out there."

There almost ALWAYS are... especially for an issue like Newfoundland where not many ppl here in the States care - yet surely NFLD coinage found its way here along with other Canadian. Who knows what's sitting in some Massachusetts grandma's jewelry box... In the 80s, my mother used to ask the nearby stores (here in NY) to keep "foreign" coins they got in change aside for her (me) - distinctly remember that 1941 Newfie 10c I still have somewhere.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I call you Ishmael?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7947 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How are you sure that they exist at all?
Like the white whale did it jump up and bite you?
Have you seen the one known example?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
03/30/2020 6:41 pm
Valued Member
Canada
194 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...just don't call me late for dinner.

@realeswatcher - yes that's it! How strange....maybe my coin guide is misguided? That never happens does it? Anyway I love the idea of the grandmother's jewellery box.

Years ago, I had a summer job in Dawson City, Yukon Territory. A lot of Americans travel through there when they're in Alaska on vacation - there's not much else in terms of city life up there and Dawson looms large. Anyway, there's a summer population of around 3,000 there so it's a bona fide small town. On one occasion word went out that an elderly lady was in town and that the last time she'd been in Canada was in the late 1940s (this was in 1986) and her parents had *saved all their leftover currency*. And so, she was wandering around paying for coffees and mementos with George VI bills issued in the 1930s. I never got one of them but I did see two: a $5 and a $20. They would be worth a fair bit now I should think....

Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"On one occasion word went out that an elderly lady was in town..."

That right there sounds SUPER small town!!

Because coronabored, digging a bit, there was a brief thread on this 5 years ago:
http://goccf.com/t/216507

So... the idea with Victoria Newf 5c is that there are THREE general obverse types, yes?:

Obv 1 = ONE dot left... THREE dots right
Obv 2 = NO dots left... TWO dots right
Obv 3 = NO dots left... THREE dot right

Them this coin has ONE dot left... TWO dots right?

So, rather than "Obverse 2"... this coin in question would in fact represent a FOURTH type of obverse, yes? And is it correct that no other examples from any years show that dot arrangement?

I would also be wary, like the person in that post from 2015, that something is amiss here. Crummy auction pics for a supposed discovery coin, btw!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7947 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are other obverse varieties of Canadian coins that don't exist yet have been certified and listed in prominent guides and catalogues.
Ahab's stump was absolute proof his white whale existed.
It's quite possible that your white whale doesn't exist.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
194 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be - but like the good Captain I intend to keep looking! The point is really that this, to me, it quite a lot of the fun and intrigue of this hobby.
Learn More...
Canada
9076 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My numismatic White Whale is the 1985 nickel dollar New Zealand Mule... it has slipped through my fingers twice, and an error collector in western Canada is hoarding them, with much deeper pockets than mine... I have been the underbidder in at least three auctions of this coin.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4507 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the last recent Torex show before the world changed, a dealer had a 1969 dollar on a copper planchet, it's toned really well about the same size as a regular dollar, only problem no value asked. My guess it's struck on a copper token or medal that the RCM was or had produced, just looked really cool, that would be a small blue whale.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2388 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1820/1825 Bust N Harp

not long ago a new member here found one in a junk bin. gives me hope that every white whale is obtainable

http://goccf.com/t/332550

Learn More...
Canada
9076 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John100, that had to be Sandy... he asked me some time ago if I had ever heard of one...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1484 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I wish I could help you but I only have this 5cent

what you might call a holey find---- FREE
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4507 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's the dealer already in a PCGS slab, but I think it's going for el mucho dollars ! still cool to have seen it
Valued Member
Canada
194 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1873 was an interesting year for NFLD 5 cents... too bad about that big hole!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 855Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05