Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 LMC With Odd Tone

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 947Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2403 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't minted on a foreign planchette. Some people try to overly complicate things that in reality have very simple explanations. Tones of Lincoln cents can vary with even slight environmental conditions. Look at brand new pennies and how bright and shiny and golden in colour they are, and if you collect them over the various years you can see different tones/colours they can be. Unless you personally kept the coin, you don't know what conditions they could be subject to. Different environments can affect coins (especially copper) very differently. And too, you don't know if your "satin" finish didn't come from some kid playing around with a can of clear paint spray.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks merc! That was my first suspicion because these are from bank rolls so no idea how they've been handled. Can't really find what would match it and isn't a year listed on the brass planchet info website.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44346 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rub the edge of the coin to see if the coating wears off. It is is plated will will resist the wear. Coating will wear off and show the copper color under the coatings. As mentioned paint, nail polish, acids, even soda acid/vinegar, ketchup, salsa can etch the surface on a coin. (Vinegar often turns cents pink in color)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I was curious again and was messing around with taking pictures in a different room of the house that had better lighting and didn't have to use flash on my phone. though there is more obvious lighting, this is as close to what I am seeing as I can get with my phone camera.

I did go against my better judgment and tried scratching a spot and it doesn't seem like a pink/red copper tone. I tried to get a good photo but is frustrating sometimes and gave up. Will try again tomorrow.

Hope everyone is staying safe and not making unusual volumes of bored eBay buys like me today(working on proof set collection)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1287 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
95% copper 5% zinc is a brass not a bronze. And they are supposed to be plated with pure copper. And when the plating solution is fresh they are. But with every batch of planchets plated the solution becomes more and more contaminated with zinc and the plating becomes a brass plating. The longer the solution is used before it is changed the higher the zinc content in the plating becomes. So other than the first batch of planchets in a fresh solution ALL Zinc Lincolns have a brass plating. The only question is how much zinc is in the brass. Sometimes they don't get the solution changed before the planchets start taking on a decided yellow color.

That copper plating solution wouldn't apply to a solid copper cent from 1973.
Hate to say it but that cent looks like it has been exposed to the elements and oxidized on the surface. The darker areas are from oils on the hands rubbing onto the coin from being handled.
Edited by Petespockets55
03/30/2020 06:26 am
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You asked about what scale I would recommend. Any scale that will give you weight to the second decimal point. I bought a AWS-100 from Amazon for less than $10. The simplest explanation is generally the best. Oxidation is responsible for its color. Most 95% CU and 5% Zn cents oxidize brown rather than the brass color in your picture. That could be from an impurity in the particular alloy used. It would also show up in all of the 1973 cents minted from that particular alloy. You see that particular color in the 1936 1C and some of the 1920's. You don't typically see it in the 1970's 1 C's. The earlier dated 1C had a mixture of tin and zinc which could account for the brass color.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good info !
If all else I can use this thread as an example to look at one possible way for the LMC to tone or oxidize. Unless I test what the penny is made of which just seems like overkill and waste of money. Though, for the sake of it I'll still try and get a clear photo of where I scratched a spot. If it's copper it should be a pink/red color right?
And to answer coops question to if it wouldn't rub off, no, it took a decent about of pressure to scratch it.

Thanks for the brand suggestion, I ended up ordering a AWS that gos in .01 increments. That should be it right?
Edited by Hermz
03/30/2020 10:40 am
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
American Weigh Scale AWS-100 Digital Pocket Scale, 100g X 0.01g Resolution. That is how it is listed on Amazon prime. It is 8.95 with free shipping for prime members
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the one, should be here this weekend.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 947Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05