Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$100,000 Denominated Canadian Gold Maple Leaf

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 761Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I'm reading the 3/30/20 issue of Coin World article on page 27 about the $100,000 gold Maple Leaf. It has 22 POUNDS of gold. It's over 7 inches thick. If you take it to the gas station for a fill up I wonder if you get change on the face value, or the intrinsic gold value? If you send it to PCGS or NGC do they have a holder for that? Does the RCM provide a mint authorized hand truck so you can move it around? They are only making 10 of them and according to the article 5 are already spoken for. I'm thinking Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos are cornering the market, each buying 5 (from their weekly allowance) and then melting all but one that comes back graded MS-70 with a CAC sticker. Would it fit in your pocket if you want a "pocket piece?' Could you take it to Vegas, go to the roulette wheel, and put it on black, or red? Perhaps they could use it at the Grey Cup for the official "coin flip" at the start of the game. At 7 inches thick would it just lay on it's side? Inquiring minds need the answer to these questions....and more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7938 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the largest gold coin struck by the mint nor the first 10 kilo gold coin.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3425 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are "coins" only due to a technicality. An amusing advertising gimmick but of no relevance to numismatics or the coin market in my opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16947 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perth Mint made a One Tonne gold coin.
About a metre in diameter, and nearly 100 mm thick.
Also an advertising gimmick, but for the Perth Mint. Probably done as a case on oneupmanship.

A business organization finally bought it after being on public display and for sale for a few years, at the Perth Mint.
This coin is now in the U.S.

Google Images:
'One Tonne Gold Coin'.

Far from the largest gold object ever made.
Edited by sel_69l
03/29/2020 07:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3425 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better to have that solid gold bathtub that was in Japan-at least you can do something with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1695 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That tonne-coin coming shortly after the 100kg, million-dollar coin that was stolen from the museum where it was on display. Maybe that's why they went for tonnage -- good luck stealing this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-berlin-bode
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
25720 Posts
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will there be a Whitman folder for this one, and if so does anyone know where I can get it?
Learn More...
Canada
9040 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this coin in person. It was at the PDAC (mining conference in Toronto in early March). The RCM had a booth, and were displaying it. Unlike the million dollar gold coin, which was cast, this one is actually struck by a massive press. They let me place a loon dollar beside it, for scale (I am a geologist, every photo needs a scale!).

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 761Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05