Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Keeping Numismatics Alive During The Pandemic

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,662Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  09:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This lock down situation is going to be very hard on dealers (which I am not btw). Most of the in-person expos are going to be cancelled at least through until mid-summer.

My plan is to do more buying online - watching the auctions circuit carefully. I'm not spending any more in restaurants or bars or any of that so maybe help out this community with a little more online activity?
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's where I'm at too. Lots of time to sort through the garage and sell things on eBay, turn that right back around into coins.
regards, Jasper- "river4449"

PMs are open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1818 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not spending much as my daughter isn't riding horses (that was a significant chunk) and we also haven't gone out to dinner/lunch/ breakfast. Also our trips are currently on hold. So I have cash, but my wife lost her job and my oldest isn't working. And my commercial espresso maker needs service (and as my daughter and I can't live without espresso) so I got a temporary machine as a backup while the commercial one gets serviced. So I've also cut back on buying. I did sell some floor mats for a Mercedes someone threw out (they were new) and with that I picked up 2 coins.

But long term I'm going to save money (as I want to get another 1909 s vdb), so my buying and selling are going to slow down a lot. Nothing on my current list is over $30, so I can pick up the missing items one or 2 every 2 weeks.

Edited by hfjacinto
03/29/2020 10:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfj I am waking up more just looking at that!

I would say that I did my part to help the global numismatic economy in March, with auction wins in a 10-day period in Poland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and U.S. I do not buy at my LCS (except supplies) or shows.

Now I need at least a 60-day break from spending. I still have my teaching work, but my other part-time gig reduced hours, and I volunteered to be the one to take the cut, since the others depend on that income to a greater extent for their livelihood.

Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about the job losses - a lot of that going around. My son was laid off two weeks ago....the restaurant biz is decidedly not thriving...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13364 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well since I'm virtually a prisoner in my own home lately ,I've been buying some coins on E-bay since I can't go out gallivanting ,( Have very bad auto immune deficiency ) so the wife chained me to my chair and laptop . The only thing to keep my mind occupied is E-bay and CCF . I think I see more coins on the horizon .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19298 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This virus thing is ruining the coin collecting hobby. So my solution is simple. Why take chances on a coin collecting future. Just rap up all your coins, coin supplies and send to me. I'll just do the suffering for you. Of course you will have to pay postage but that is only small compared to how much I'll save you by getting rid of something that may not be worth anything in a few hundred years.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good one, carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my coin list excel updated last night. Those dozen or so from Oct-Feb made me feel like I was thriving, but wisdom says to lay off the sauce and save for the time being going forward. Maybe some inexpensive varieties will pop up here and there to scratch the itch, but I might have to pass on the good stuff until stability feels a little more certain.
My hoard of '82s is up to 192! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 12, 1682 x 14, 1782 x 50, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 31
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl, I wouldn't want you to suffer too much. Please send me some of your albums and I'll carry your burden for awhile.
Learn More...
United States
86059 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many will move their business online and most of will likely remain their for good.

This goes for many things, not just numismatics.

We are in a paradigm shift and it may not be a smooth ride. Hang on tight!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
721 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are lucky, Trade Me has been banned for non essential sales until our lockdown ends (In the best scenario, we are on day 9 of 28).

That means no buying until then. We can look and bid but no auction will close before the end of lockdown!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3756 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got notice that I'm going to be furloughed for what is likely going to be several months. So no more non-essential purchased for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about that Joe. I hope things work out for you.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16950 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everybody needs cash. Or card money.
At a time when it is much harder to obtain.

That makes it tough for non essential businesses such as coin dealing and coin auctions. No coin shows.

Thanks to the CCF, we can keep our numismatic interests alive and well, over the coming months.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
721 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear that Joe. Its bloody unfair for people to lose their jobs over a bloody foreign flu wracking the world.

Let's hope you land on your feet soon!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,662Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05