Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Does The Charlton Guide Come Up With Its Price Estimates?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 438Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing a lot of slogging through the results of past auctions, comparing the prices people are paying for various coins of interest - also lining them up against PCGS POP reports and that sort of thing.

While I respect the Charlton guide as a guide - there's a ton of useful information in there - their prices quite frequently don't make sense.

Does anyone know how they come up with those prices? Or perhaps more specifically who comes up with those prices? My conspiracy theorist side has some theories but, well, lets leave that side of me out of this.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The prices in Charlton (or Trends) are NOT what the market price is. You can go to most any larger coin show up here North of the border and buy coins at approx 70% of Charlton or Trends IF you know the dealer, but most will discount. They will buy the coins at 50-60%, or less, of the same books. It used to be (when I knew folks at Charlton) a consensus of various dealers, but that was 7-8 years ago. I think that EBay "sold" prices are a good indicator, coupled with auction prices for the higher graded stuff that doesn't come up very often.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2289 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They will buy the coins at 50-60%

Not a snowball's chance in H-E double hockey sticks a dealer will buy your coins at this percentage.

Those days are long, long gone.

More like 35% and most dealers don't even want to buy at all.
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know at least one dealer who buys but he's very selective - problem-free, key dates only. That is, coins that have a reasonable chance of re-sale.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2289 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know at least one dealer who buys but he's very selective - problem-free, key dates only. That is, coins that have a reasonable chance of re-sale.

There will always be these exceptions to the rule.

I'm talking about going into a dealer's shop and having a box of ICCS Canadian coins to sell.

Good coins, not junk, but not key dates either.

Let's say coins like 1916 10c in ms63, 1940 25c in ms64, 1919 5c in ms63.

Good coins right?

Try selling those at 50 to 60%.

Good luck.

95% of the coin prices listed in Canadian Trends should be sliced in half......50%....then and only then you have a more realistic value of Retail.

Then a dealer would offer 50% to 60% of this new value (which would equate to the dealer offering 25% to 30% of the present, overvalued amount).

See, this make sense now, doesn't it?
Edited by doubleeagle59
03/29/2020 1:01 pm
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, I'm sure you're right about that. I'm mostly building at the moment so I have limited experience trying to sell. I'm sure there's a line up of people who would want to buy one of my, at least, 15 copies of the 1947 Newfoundland 5c right? I mean come on - they're at lease VF-20!

Anyway?

Hellooooo....

<crickets chirping>
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2289 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a very good time for collecting.

Just do it for the passion and not for the profit and be firm on the price you want to pay for a coin.

Don't let a dealer bamboozle you into thinking the market is strong so thay can justify their high prices.

Pay between 50% to a maximum of 70% of trends.

If this is too low for the dealers, then you can be patient and find it eventually on Ebay, most likely for 40% to 60% of trends.

I've been actively buying and selling in this market (to dealers and on Ebay) since 1999, so I should know a thing or two about pricing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05