Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spraying Coins With Rubbing Alcohol In Light Of Covid19

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,461Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
539 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  9:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I'm not finding any discussion on this but I apologize if I have missed it. There are a lot of cleaning discussions but this is really about spraying coins with rubbing alcohol with the only motivation being avoiding COVID19. I suspect the virus lives on the surface of an envelope or coin for only a certain amount of time. The internet is full of opinions on this. I was wondering what does a spray of rubbing alcohol do to a coin and can it just be rinsed off with distilled water.

Trying to main some sense of wisdom without going nuts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3370 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. Go for it.

Soap and water is also effective.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47948 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good grief.

Should I spray my prescription after picking in up from Walreen's?

Insanity.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16976 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Money is dirty. That includes banknotes as well as coins. Everybody handles money, and we hav no idea of the health of those before us.
The possibility of Coronavirus makes them much more dangerous.
If you are CRH'ing, unwrap all of the rolls and throw all of the coins into a bucket of soapy water for 10 minutes. Rinse them around in the soapy water, then turn them out onto drainage tray with a slight slope on it, in the sun.

The water soluble oils from which soap is made are composed of lipid fats and oils. These lipids attack all virus organisms and the virusus simply fall apart.
That is why soap 'n water is more effective than alcohol hand sanitizer, which dries out quickly. Cheaper as well.

You can then very safely examine all of your coins in the way you always have done. No gloves needed.
Edited by sel_69l
03/31/2020 02:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3370 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should I spray my prescription after picking in up from Walreen's?

TKx-F4AKteE
Pillar of the Community
United States
6950 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dont spray valueable coins. Bad for them.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3929 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pointless, feel-good effort. Almost everyone will become infected, many won't even know it.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16976 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem with COVID-19, is that it has a kill rate of about 6% for those over 70 years old.
For those below 40, well less than 1%, and almost zero for kids older than babies.

That's why personal hygiene has to be excellent just now, and
why (I think) cleaning coins before CRH'ing is a good idea.
Edited by sel_69l
03/31/2020 06:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3430 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The virus only lasts for a few hours on copper. I have not read about other coinage metals. So just letting them sit for a few days to a week should make them OK.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3370 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simplest solution of all.
Unless you're the type who's more likely to die of impatience than the virus

Edited by tdziemia
03/31/2020 07:10 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spraying coins with Alcohol could make them drunk. Then they would stagger and fall off a table and you'ld probably try to grab them and with bare hands. This would leave prints on the coins as well as the virus. Now you have coins infected with Alcoholism and a virus. Next you would have to submit them to a rehab facility where they would now also pick up other illnesses making them even more contagious. Next is taking them home and melting them down in a furnace since high heat can kill almost anything.
Conclusion: Drink the Alcohol and leave the coins alone.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1842 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you want to be totally safe you can throw the coins into a washer and use the sanitize wash?

You do know that if you wait about a day the virus dies right? Just wait a day and chances are that the coins will be virus free.

I also checked the CDC and there are 0 cases of some one getting COVID 19 from coin rolling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13412 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I would recommend all CRH to stop at least until this pandemic is over and done with . Yes I realize there are some diehards out there that won't be able to do that . To feed your addiction for a month or two spend a little of that Stimulus money from the Government and buy some coins on E-bay or online dealers . Of cause after all your bills are paid .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
86236 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To feed your addiction for a month or two spend a little of that Stimulus money from the Government and buy some coins on E-bay or online dealers . Of cause after all your bills are paid
Learn More...
Australia
13324 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others have posted, they have actually done some research into how viable this particular virus is after being sprayed onto various surfaces. They're artificial tests, but it's the best we've got right now. The virus survived for the shortest time on copper, just 4 hours. I suspect the virus would last even less time on silver, with it's famed sterilization properties. Of course, the time between a cashier giving you a coin and you picking up the coin is going to be a lot shorter than 4 hours, which is why the whole planet is hastily going cashless right now. But collectable coins that have been mailed to you should be perfectly safe, as they will be passing through the mail/courier system for a lot longer than 4 hours.

The packaging, on the other hand, is a different story. The virus can last for several days on paper or cardboard packaging. Here in Australia we've had cases of airport baggage handlers coming down with the virus, so it's easily possible to catch it second-hand from a parcel, especially a parcel sent express. Just leaving it alone for a few days should do the trick. Letting it sit in the sun should hasten the sterilization process; UV light is bad for viruses. A UV-C lamp would be even better - it's what the banks are using to sterilize their banknotes.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3929 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd, some merchants here not accepting plastic or checks.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05