Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 Jefferson Nickel/Getting Tested Today

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 478Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
370 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  04:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning everyone. I came across this coin which was with others that I acquired and have yet to look at up close and check the weight. It sounds different compared to the pitch of others and the appearance is seems to be different compared to other copper nickel Jefferson to me. I am taking it into my local collector and he is going to check the composition for me with his machine. Maybe it will be something worth sending out. Here are a few images. It seems to look similar in appearance to the one Heritage Coin has for an example of a silver 1946 Jefferson nickel. Weight is 4.88 grams.....

Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal to me but good luck.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33629 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What type of testing machine, and how much is he charging?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48062 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that would be interesting to know. Sure looks normal to me as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13439 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I as well . Please let us know the outcome .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 actually I have no clue on what the machine or the test is called. If it is even a machine for that matter but I'm guessing it would have to be. I took in a 1998 LMC because it add zinc showing and the color was just all off and did not seem right including the weight. when he looked at it he said he wanted to check into it further and was taking it in the back to verify it's metal composition. he came back out after 10 or 15 minutes and said it is definitely wrong but he could not give me the actual percentages of the metals. By that time he had it slapped in a 2x2 and said it might be worth sending in. As for the price he did not charge me a dime for slapping it or for the test or whatever it was he did. I am definitely going to find out for sure today when I take this coin in I think I was just caught up in the moment of having a coin of the wrong planchador composition the first time to even wonder what he did. Dempsey and Baxter, Erie, Pa. is where I take my coins. I hope I don't get in any kind of trouble for this but here is an image or two of the 1998 LMC that I was referring to..

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33629 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1998 looks like a normal coin with some of the copper plating worn off.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3566 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, both look completely normal to me.
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary with that cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both look as though they've been serving their intended purposes. Nothing out of the ordinary.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 478Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05