Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

#124 - 1886 S Morgan Dollar For Grading And Opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 382Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of the better date Morgans I have. Not sure what the green stuff is. Looks like some sort of corrosion that's sitting on the surface, acetone doesn't affect it.

Anyway, what do you think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2023 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unc details, likely corrosion beneath the verdigris.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47948 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree, unc details (ED).
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the question is this. This is not a run of the mill common Morgan. PCGS has this at $300 in MS-60 and $435 in MS-62. Since this coin does have some extra value, is there anything that can be done to restore or conserve without damaging the surface more?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2023 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spot treatment with Verdi-Care might help with the verdigris and stop further corrosion, but any underlying corrosion can't be reversed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16443 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since acetone had no effect, that confirms it's verdigris and not PVC residue. It is in the moderate to heavy category. Unfortunately, once the active corrosion is removed, there will be damage under each spot that will be apparent.

Treatment with VC is your best course IMO. I know of nothing else that would potentially remove it without damaging the coin more.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BudJillett to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The slightly flat hair over the ear had me sitting on the fence of UNC. If the luster is there, then I can go with UNC. New to this so I had to read the other assessments to learn what the green spots were.

Beautiful coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UNC details, MS-60'ish, corrosion.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20104 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 details, environmental damage and cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8685 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UNC details. that verdigris isn't going to come off and if it would its probably compromised the metal there.
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have some Verdi-Care being shipped to me as I write this, and I will do all the conserving I am able to with the product, and once finished I'll re-post new pictures with the after Verdi-Care treatment images.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05