Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Plugable Digital Microscope

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 317Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  11:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add janknez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope you're all staying safe.

I saw that the Plugable digital microscope was recommended by several of you, so I bought one (USB 2.0) from Amazon ($40 model). I am extremely stupid about microscopes and cameras, so I am hoping some of you who are familiar with this could help me.

The description said it is 0X to 250X, so I assumed I could change the power, but I don't see how to do that. And a dollar-size coin is too big for the frame. I know if I raise it up higher I could get more of the coin in.

I am embarrassed by how dumb this sounds but I just don't understand how to do this stuff. I will say the set up was easy enough.

So, experienced users -- please give me some hints. I really wanted it basically just to take pictures of coins.

Thanks.

Jan

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3196 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
doesn't the bottom portion of the "head" have a focus or zoom +/-.
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a little explanation I found at the plugable site.

Quote:
The Plugable USB2-MICRO-200X employs a Varifocal Lens which changes the focal plane with the magnification. In this type of design, the maximum magnification is closest to the lens. The clear plastic housing is the perfect length (after removing the plastic lens cap) to lay directly on the specimen or just barely above. Then adjust the focus until it's clear and you'll be at the highest magnification. To lower the magnification you can adjust the microscope stand so the lens is higher off of the specimen and refocus. Basically it works the same as a simple optical microscope.

I've also found by changing the photo quality in the settings (the small spoked wheel on top), It will also adjust the zoom a little.
And yes, to take a picture of a dollar or even a half dollar you'll have to experiment and put it on a stack of books or something to fit the entire coin in the frame. I swing the camera around so it hangs over the edge of the stand then put the coins next to the stack of books and I'm ready to go.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33640 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On large coins you need to raise the scope using books until coin fits in full view and then adjust focus. You will need to put filters on the lights.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add janknez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, fellas. I've got it now. As a matter of fact, I even own a camera stand (somewhere) which would work great, if I can figure out how to mount the microscope on it. Once I find what I did with it. That would really be cool, for easy raising and lowering.

As soon as I get it set up, I will take a picture of my favorite coin and publish it for all to see.

Thanks again.

Jan
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the thread, I have a question myself.

I have an AmScope UT model digital microscope, and it is the same type, no zoom option. For finding RPM and DDO, what are some best practices?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05