Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My TPG Coin, I Want To Get It Graded By NGC Or PCGS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 473Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ShekelGoblin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi hi, I want to know if you guys think I should take this out and get it graded by a better company it's a 1902 Indian Head penny, Thanks in advance!

Obverse and reverse below

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3302 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is only worth a couple of dollars . Definitely not a grading candidate .
Your piece is VG details , heavily cleaned ! Cheers
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin has been cleaned. IMO, maybe worth a Dollar.
NOT worth sending in for certification.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47915 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned common date, worth less than a dollar.

to the CCF!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShekelGoblin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! it's still a nice piece to have for details IMO
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1997 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

The condition of this coin isn't good enough for it to be graded. It would need to be Mint State 65 or greater to justify the cost of third party grading.

You can see what Indian Head cents sell for on this page from PCGS. https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...2-1c-bn/2211
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Edited by Yokozuna
04/05/2020 9:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13407 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely not ! That coin is every thing that a coin should not be in a TPH . It even looks a little fake to boot .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16520 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big difference between "I want to get it graded by PCGS or NGC." and "Do you think I should take this out and get it graded by a better company.?"

If YOU want to send it to PCGS or NGC then do so. If you want to know if WE think you should do so then No.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Australia
56 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my solution is simple,

1) is it easier for you to get the coin PCGS or NGC graded?

2) if the coin looks like it is in good shape and has better eye appeal then PCGS,

3) if the coin looks ok but lacks more eye appeal then I think NGC grades better technically ; so thus send NGC,

great idea to post your pics so the experts here ( NOT me ) can advise you ...

goodluck
Pillar of the Community
United States
1837 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a few dollar coin.. you are seriously considering getting it slabbed?

Heck then do it. I'm not stopping you. You'll end up having a slab worth more than the coin, but there are so many coins like that you'll be part of the majority.
Valued Member
Australia
56 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i must apologise ; I scrolled past the coin and only noticed an Indian!

I posted my recommendation about the TPG's based solely and only from the title.

I was simply stating my opinion that there is no true measurable difference between PCGS and NGC.

I think any coin gets a more favorable report from PCGS for its overall " looks " ,

whereas a coin with less " bang for the buck " gets more technical help from NGC.

. . . and I think my personal belief is borne out due to PCGS getting higher prices.

I think slabbing has been a good thing for coins even if 50% of the graded coins should never have been sent in to be graded / slabbed :)

Hobbyists / amateur collectors should be spending more on coins and education rather than helping TPG's expand their empires !:)

After all ; while they might try I doubt the owners of the TPG grading services will ever reach jeff bezos or bill gates , keep your money they do not need your contributions ;)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05