Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A "Genuine" Grade Morgan Dollar? Tiny Rim Dent.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 702Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  12:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have this nice Morgan dollar I am planning to eventually submit for grading at PCGS. 1884 O. I'm hoping to get at least an ms64 graded on it! I'm worried this little dent on the rim above the E on the obverse is going to get me a "genuine" grade. On PCGS's website, a rim dent constitutes a "genuine" grade. I'm new to the community and I was wondering if I could get some opinions from more experienced members of the community.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33620 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. We need a full coin photo front and back and please make sure to properly rotate photo before posting.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48019 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on both counts. Showing your pics right-side up is important.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
86360 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2622 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your question the rim ding above the E does not appear to have caused enough damage to details the coin with rim damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Nice coin but why submit? It's common and inexpensive, not worth slabbing. IMHO
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As requested, here are the photos! And thank you all for the warm welcomes! :)
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NDBirdman Thinking about starting a Morgan dollar type set with all pieces graded ms64 and above. I already have a few graded by PCGS, and so I want to stay consistent with how each piece is preserved. Plus, I've never submitted a coin before for grading, and was just thinking "Why not!"
Pillar of the Community
United States
4914 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63ish
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That ding looks minor enough that I doubt it would cause the coin to receive a "genuine" grade. I wouldn't even have noticed it had you not pointed it out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The rim ding is small enough that it would not affect the coin's grade. However, the coin's value is too low to justify all the costs associated with getting it graded.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, plus no guarantee of it getting a 64.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 702Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05