Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Tell Me Roughly What This 1850 Half Cent Is Worth?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 927Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  12:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Unfortunately a details coin with big scrapes all over the front and some kind of waxy substance stuck to both sides.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47863 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you'd be lucky to get $10 for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the damage that bad, coinfrog? I'm seeing some with holes drilled in them that sold for $70 or more on ebay...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog is probably pretty close. You might be able to get a few dollars more. The problem is you are starting with a coin that is already a lower grade coin. Then you add the vandalism to the obverse and the gunk on it. All of that will lead to a lower price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know much about these Half Cents but looking at past sales on Ebay and Heritage it is still hard to determine price. The lowest sold price on Ebay was for $69.99 for a holed one (cannot see the date either) and then goes up to over $130 for damaged ones in low grades. Heritage is showing damaged F graded coins sold just over $50.00. It also looks like there is a hole (around 12 on the obverse and 6 on the reverse) in this coin as well as the damage.
Edited by Heymikep
04/06/2020 11:29 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get that it's not in great shape, Citation, but I was hoping a key date that goes for over $1000 in high grade would be worth a little more than $10 even with this damage, and worse looking coins seem to be going for more than that on auction sites...

That's not a hole, Heymikep, it's just a patch where the there isn't any of the gunk that's covering the rest of the surface.

Also, should I try to remove the gunk? I've gotten mixed answers. I believe it's wax, and I've seen that xylene is safe and could remove it if that's what it is, but I've also heard people say it's better not to expose a surface that's been covered for so long since it will have different toning.
Edited by SamCoin
04/06/2020 11:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think it should still bring near the 100 dollar mark. I'm inclined to agree with Heymikep as I too have seen much worse sell near that. I say roll the dice if you're looking to sell and surprise us all with the results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1822 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I wouldn't buy it at even $10, it's in pretty bad shape, but hey people will buy anything. Least you can do is try to sell it and see what you get, eye appeal is pretty bad so you might have a hard time selling it.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buffalo78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say for anyone familiar with Half Cents..... forget the mintage numbers, the 1850 is tough. You can throw the price guides out on this one. I forked over $120 for one inVG with an old cleaning at a show within the last year. I never pay marked price but the owner knew what he had and he would not budge. I challenge someone to find one of these at "book" value. I bet that coin would fetch $40 minimum for someone who has been looking for one with a budget less than$200. Just my 1/2 cents worth.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2621 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
List it on eBay at a $49 BIN. My guess it would sell.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most people don't collect Half Cents by date, which is probably why there's discrepancy in the price guides versus market value. For most people, the only Half Cents they have are the ones in their 7070 (if they're working on something like that).
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buffalo78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point CalzoneManiac. To a type collector that coin has minimal value. For someone working on a date set that coin has more value. Given the difficulty I had in finding one under $200 I would guess their are more date collectors out there or if not this date is a true rarity of circulated survivors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, not interested in selling it, just curious what it might be worth for my own knowledge. Appreciate all the replies!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3565 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would give it an acetone bath and see if that gunk comes off. When it comes to the Half Cents like this, damage doesn't kill the price as much as one would think. Personally I wouldnt pay a bunch for it. For my tastes it just has too much damage on the main portion of the coin.
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubled my money on an 1883 CC Morgan dollar that had heavy black gunk on it that would not come off. I think it had been in a fire, and I found it in a local coin shop's bargain bin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16515 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2020  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was hoping a key date that goes for over $1000 in high grade would be worth a little more than $10 even with this damage,

1850 isn't really a key date. Frankly none of the business strike braided hair Half Cents are really all that hard to come by. The 51 and 53 are a little more common due to their high mintage, but all of the dates are usually available. I will agree though that the mintages are misleading. The coins are even scarcer than th mintages would have you believe. A lot of Half Cents were still in the Mints hands when the coins were discntinued in Feb of 1857 and after that none were paid out. Eventually all the ones they had were destroyed. Melted and used as alloy for other coins.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 927Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05