Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 50c Variety Verification Of B-4881 ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 294Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
what I've got or not:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by mdpmedia
04/06/2020 10:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is a type 2 reverse but I am not familiar with B-4881 or what else determines that variety.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16522 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reference is to the number in the Breen Encyclopedia. In 1858 the half dollars from Philadelphia come with either the type 1 or type 2 rev hubs the type 1 are 4880 and the type 2 are 4881. The 4881 is the rarer of the two and he only lists it as coming from one die pair. The other die pairs are all type 1. And I agree yours is a type 2 rev. Breen calls the 4881 very rare, but take that with a grain of salt, many if not most of his rarity estimates were made in the 1950's when very little variety collecting was going on and many of his high rarity estimates have come way down.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I put some extra effort into this one was because of the couple of sales I saw on CoinFacts:

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...b-110/572115

I'm unsure if this is a question for the variety thread but would PCGS grade this coin? In the past when I've had some nice varieties they refused to both attribute and grade the coin because it was 'cleaned'.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05