Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About 1967 Centennial Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 461Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  10:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pgh_pa_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Total newbie to collecting, so I'm looking for some very basic info. I'll apologize up front for the quality of my images. I only have a phone camera to work with right now and no way to effectively light coins without major shadows.

I'm using my "house arrest" time to look through some coins from a relative's estate, and found this 10 cent coin already in a flip marked "proof". Poking through other posts I find references to proof strikes, PL coins, and business strikes. How do you know for sure which is which? This coin is super-shiny, like what I've seen as proof samples for US coins. (I didn't want to take this out of its flip until I can take better shots.) Is it a proof coin, or just one that got stuck in a holder early on?

Also, I see that this year came in two silver contents. Some of the posts I've looked at say the proof (PL?) strikes were 80% Ag/20% Cu and business strikes were 50/50. Other said all 1967's were 80% up until some point when they switched as silver prices rose. If this is a proof coin as it was labeled, is it likely the 80%? I'm not looking to sell, and the value difference is small anyway, but I just don't know enough yet about this stuff. Thanks for all the help and patience. I've long been the kind of "collector" who just picks over change for obvious things, but I never knew how involved it can be!

So here goes with my photo attempts:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1578 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7947 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it a proof coin
No, the Mint did not strike any proof coins prior to the 5 and 10 dollar Olympic coins of '73.
They did not have the necessary equipment before then.
Do not believe PCGS pop reports.
No proof dimes were struck before 1981.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
04/08/2020 11:40 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pgh_pa_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DBM: This topic http://goccf.com/t/122892 mentions a 1967 proof set. Could this coin have been separated from such a set? I have a couple of silver US State Quarters that were only supposed to have been released as part of a Mint set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7947 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, there were absolutely no proof coins whatsoever struck in 1967.
Not in sets, not in singles, not anywhere.
-from PCGS website
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pgh_pa_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I guess now I'm understanding the meaning of "proof-like". So this isn't a proof coin as my uncle had marked, just a very shiny specimen.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7947 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1967 two types of sets were issued.
Specimen and PL.
Both contained 80% silver coins.
Your coin appears to be from one these but can't be absolutely certain from pics.

Quote:
I guess now I'm understanding the meaning of "proof-like".
No, you're not.
The US and Canadian definition of proof like are different.
For Canadian coins proof-like (PL) refers to coins,usually in sets, specially struck for collectors and generally of higher quality than their business strike counterparts.
For US collectors proof-like's meaning is literal="like a proof"
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
04/09/2020 12:19 am
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pgh_pa_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which is what I'm asking. How is it possible to tell if the loose coin I have may have been part of one of those sets, and isn't just a regular circulation strike that's in good shape?
Valued Member
Poland
61 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the photos provided, it does appear that your coin comes from a specimen set (I have personally broken and scrapped a great number of these). I say this based on the cameo appearance, as well as denticles of your coin. This being said, circulation strikes from fresh dies sometimes give the same appearance, and to further confuse things, specimen coins that were considered surplus or sub-standard ended up getting released into general circulation.

The specimen coins of this period often give a similar appearance to 'proof' coins as they are generally conceived, but the striking process was not the same. This being said, many PL or SP coins display heavy cameo, and are often graded as such. The difference in this period is a technical one rather than an empirical one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05