Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Texas Centennial Half Dollar For Grading

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,246Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  7:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this coin for 50 years and always assumed it was uncirculated until I put it under the scope ? It has never removed from this package. Of course I didn't remove it and apologize for the pictures and grading may not be possible. What is the story behind the word trust being spelt with a V ?The San Antonio address on the package is a parking lot these days.
Thanks,
Ken

Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're not going to be able to tell much from those pictures...
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18141 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Cellophane is preventing any honest assessment about the grade to be made.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Completely understand, should I remove it from the very delicate plastic to take photos and put it back ?
My grandfather ( now I'm a grandfather) gave this to me and that's a tuff decision.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote, YES. But, I'm just dying to see it. I love these!
Valued Member
United States
195 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.PCGS.com/news/1934-1938...half-dollars

Some very good info on the Texas commemorative coin series. I think one of the nicest in the entire commemorative series. Your coin in the sealed plastic looks like a very nice example that is likely in a mint state uncirculated condition. Very nice coin and even nicer to have remained in your family possession all these years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you guys don't think it will degrade the value I'll take it out of the package after a few replies ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have had the coin for 50 years. That tells me you are not planning on selling it. I don't think the packaging adds a lot of value. I would take it out, but keep the packaging
Maybe send it to get graded
Pillar of the Community
United States
9578 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't see classic commemoratives in the original packaging at all these days. You may be removing some value by freeing it. I'm on the fence...

I would have the mods move this to the commemoratives category and wait for member @commems to reply before you do anything..
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
04/12/2020 09:13 am
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do want to remove it but I think I'll wait. I did read that they originally came in a different holder and didn't add much value. Thanks for the replies and maybe I'll take it out soon !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54821 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sending it in for grading might be a good idea. Please show us large, complete pics of both sides with images right-side up.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I removed it and it is pretty. But its probably because it has sentimental value to me. When looking at it through the usb scope it looks like it has ware ?
What is the golden color ?
Thanks,
Ken

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't see classic commemoratives in the original packaging at all these days. You may be removing some value by freeing it. I'm on the fence...

I would have the mods move this to the commemoratives category and wait for member @commems to reply before you do anything..

Oops, I didn't realize it was posted in the wrong place, mods please move it please.
Thanks,
Ken
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18141 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The old packaging may have failed this coin somewhat.
Now, perhaps best to have this coin slabbed, for it own protection. A close fitting hard capsule OK, if you don't wish to have it slabbed.

The patina not quite so attractive, to my eye. It makes the finer detail of the design harder to see at a glance.
Nevertheless,
the potential slabbed value would justify the cost of grading and shipping fees.

For my grading opinion, for what it's worth:
AU-58. (I needed the close up pictures to be able to say something.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! This coin is simply amazing. The detail is incredible.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,246Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05