Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medieval European Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 625Next Topic  
Valued Member
Russian Federation
149 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  12:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For a very long time I wanted to buy a medieval coin of the 9-14th century for my collection, and now I managed to find a seller who sells them, but I do not know the price of these coins at all and I have $ 130 in my pocket. I would like to buy something for myself, but I do not want to re-buy or buy nothing at all and miss a good auction.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37087 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is your question?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Russian Federation
149 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Advise me onlain catalog where I could see how much the coins cost
Learn More...
United States
18202 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@slerk, there is no one catalog that contains all coins of the world from any of those centuries as far as I'm aware. The Krause series only does as far back as the 17th Century. Rather, there are individual books, journal articles, and auction records for individual regions that are often in the language of that particular region. If you give us a little more info about your specific geography of interest, we might be able to recommend something. I do note that much of the time these references don't include pricing, or if they do it is woefully out of date.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there is a certain type of medieval coin you have in mind ... for example a Venice grosso or an English penny (both of which are within your budget) ... you can do your research on CoinArchives, acsearch, or even eBay to find out the current market value.

For other places, there are other databases (for instance, for Poland coins and some medieval German types the WCN archive is a very good source).

It's good that you are going to do the research before buying!

Edited by tdziemia
04/29/2020 07:15 am
Valued Member
Russian Federation
149 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact is that on eBAY I found a seller who is currently holding an action, which displays several medieval coins of England, France, Scotland, Bolivia, etc. I just want to buy one of his coins in my collection, but I want to know in advance what my money might be enough for
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not collect English/Scottish medieval coins, but I know that many recent auctions prices are given in CoinArchives and in the CNG (Classical Numismatic Group) database. Maybe the best start is an eBay "sold items" search, since that is where you are looking.

For example, a search on "England Long Cross Penny," which turns up some nice coins that have sold for $50-75 recently
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Pape...enny&_sop=16

For France, I think one of the French auction houses has a database, but I have never used it.

Edited by tdziemia
04/29/2020 10:13 am
Learn More...
United States
23407 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  11:05 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can do a search for medieval coins on Vcoins.com to get and idea what they are selling for.
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think, this Russian website about the Medieval coinage can help You http://forum.castlecoins.ru/
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 625Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05