Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tell Me About Half Dollar Hunting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 355Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
850 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  5:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have never searched half dollars and I am not sure that I will not that we are in the coronavirus era. But I do have some questions.

What box size do halves come in?

Do most banks carry boxes of halves? (I never see them in circulation.)

Are banks willing to work with collectors on halves?

Pillar of the Community
5128 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What box size do halves come in?

They look like these:

Quote:
Do most banks carry boxes of halves? (I never see them in circulation.)

No, you have to order them from your bank.

Quote:
Are banks willing to work with collectors on halves?

If you're lucky. Some require that you have an account, some don't. If you don't have an account, start small and establish a relationship. Ask for a few rolls of cents, nickels or dimes first.

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5288 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be greedy, be polite, accept the word "no" with grace and understanding.and be very thankful for what you get. Most importantly do not return your searched halves back to the same bank.

Show your appreciation to your tellers with an occasional gift card to a local coffee shop.

Good luck in your half dollar searching!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3974 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't mention the word silver when banking, ever, nor collecting. It's none of their business. Their business is to provide service.
I don't gift often, maybe once a year. Fastest way for silver to dry up, gifting, once tellers catch on. Why gift, they're doing their job. They've got it easy to begin with (wife in banking for decades, me too).
I've been in the game for over 40 years.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
5128 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most importantly do not return your searched halves back to the same bank.

Probably the best advise!
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BrandaBob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great advice, to avoid such a scenario use at least two banks for roll hunting, a pick-up bank and a dump bank. Order and pick up your halves and other desired denominations from one branch and promptly redeposit them at another, that way bank employees won't feel cheated for ordering stuff that'll go right back into their vaults.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05