Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rapidly Deteriorating 2019-W Washington Quarters

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,094Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2020  7:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm starting to notice these 2019-W's becoming progressively worse in circulation. I suppose it's inevitable.

I thought a little acetone would help.....nope, not really! Whatever it is, it's baked into the surface.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4475 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The poor guys go through a lot in circulation. This is why most of us try to pull them out when they are first released. Still, finding one in change or in a roll is still exciting.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this one a few months a go. He's beat up as well.

However, I've found several other 19-W'S I submitted to ANACS that came back 67. I was just testing my non-professional grading skills.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2020  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it doesn't take much time for circulation to do a number on coins especially in car cup holders for a couple months and a little water or dirt in the mix. I've found some lightly circulated Ws still but then there's this type of thing also.

At this point I'd carry it around a while rub it with my fingers and slowly give it some "pocket piece wear" which might level out all the damages and make it more uniform.

Can't really do it much worse at this point short of taking a grinder to it but light friction from pockets and fingers will smooth it out in coloration over time and soften up some of the scratches. It will still never be a BU again but you might wind up with a pretty nice lowball for a circulated set in 20 years or so. Lol
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a shame that some people are not paying attention to what they receive in their change.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2020  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It will still never be a BU again but you might wind up with a pretty nice lowball for a circulated set in 20 years or so. Lol

Not worth the time or effort. It's in a 2x2 flip and put to bed.

Quote:
It is a shame that some people are not paying attention to what they receive in their change.

That's a good thing..................for us!
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without these coins getting damaged through circulation there would be no collection in my opinion. The competition for best quality is a major driver of our hobby!
Pillar of the Community
United States
876 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't even find one like those.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would put those coins in a pants pocket and throw it in the wash. That usually cleans them up pretty nice. It would be better anyway. I wonder what one of the W quarters would look like if someone carried it as a pocket piece for a few years. It would make for an interesting conversation, or a lowball set.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Check BrandaBob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine a new generation of collectors seeking out lowball Ws the same way we do with Morgans and ASEs today, that'd be really cool.
Edited by BrandaBob
05/14/2020 10:12 am
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would put those coins in a pants pocket and throw it in the wash. That usually cleans them up pretty nice. It would be better anyway.

If acetone doesn't take it off, it's not coming off.

Quote:
I wonder what one of the W quarters would look like if someone carried it as a pocket piece for a few years. It would make for an interesting conversation, or a lowball set.

Yes, but I think it would take much longer then a few years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't gotten a single W yet. I've gotten many excellent P's but just spend them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10715 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None here either. To be fair, I don't do a whole lot of cash transactions and in the past 2 months they've been nil. I'll likely have to buy them from ebay.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
None here either. To be fair, I don't do a whole lot of cash transactions and in the past 2 months they've been nil. I'll likely have to buy them from ebay.

Why not search bank boxes or rolls?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10715 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why not search bank boxes or rolls?

Well, I've pretty much limited my excursions over the past 2 months to grocery stores and curb-side pickups. So I haven't seen the inside of a bank lobby in a very long time.

I will definitely be doing that though. I "need" to get S business and W quarters and that seems like the best way.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,094Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05