Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have Any Of These Mint Products Seen A Rise In Price

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,130Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  6:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any examples of mint product that has increased in price in the secondary market and maintained the higher prices?
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2015 had a couple of the Coin and Chronicles sets that sold for around $60, and are still selling for hundreds.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But in general the coins are losers from a dollar standpoint?
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no experience with the RCM, but in the US, you should not buy Mint sets, proof sets, etc, as an investment. You may get lucky once, but most of the time you can buy the same sets 10 years later for less than you paid.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2903 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the op is asking about Canadian coins, I would assume. there are many that are above issue price, and better, but more often than not, the price will trickle down given enough time.. There are many home runs, but also many strike outs..

Have you got any coins in mind, perhaps we can give you some help if we know exactly what you are thinking about buying..
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm just curious in general. I like some of the more subdued and subtle pieces but I'm not sure I want to put my money into something that was designed to be collected. I remember a number of years ago a big hype around the Superman coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2707 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Except for this year, the RCM produces 300+ coins per year you so are looking at thousands of coins in the last 10 years. Maybe 2% of them sell above issue price. The rest you are lucky to get 50%-75% of issue price if you can find a buyer.
Edited by MoneyPenney
05/13/2020 9:13 pm
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Except for this year, the RCM produces 300+ coins per year you so are looking at thousands of coins in the last 10 years. Maybe 2% of them sell above issue price. The rest you are lucky to get 50%-75% of issue price if you can find a buyer.

This is a grim picture but I appreciate the insight. I feel bad for the people who were made to believe that these coins were investments.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17080 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In most cases modern new issue Mint product will loose value against the new issue price.
But not always.
You really need to have a shrewd and experienced judgement for your investment to have a chance do well.

The main reason why collectors collect is because that is their hobby.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The main reason why collectors collect is because that is their hobby.

For sure! I think the RCM makes some of the most attractive commemoratives. Does The Coin Show ever represent RCM product as investments?
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thymolum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes if RCM start producing a new series of coins which becomes successful, normally the first coin skyrockets in price after success is realised and stays high in price until series is over. But unfortunately there is no way of telling before...
A great example is 2016 "Pysanka" coin - still very expensive, very far up from a mint price.
Another one was 50-cent Canadian Floral Collection. I jumped to it in the middle - was gifted a 2004 coin and had to pay double for 2002 (the first one). Now it seems to be over with this one.
But there is a risk involved as well. These days I discovered that coins have expiration. At least that what I was told by dealer. I bought a $300 dollars coin which turned after 3 years into $75 silver slab due to corrosion.
Will try my luck directly with Mint.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17080 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mints sell their collector product at the highest price that they think their market research indicates will bear.

Nothing left in it for a collector to make a profit out of,
who will also try for the highest price when reselling.

Somewhat cynical I suppose,
but that is the way lots of other profitable businesses do well for their stakeholders.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
796 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, as an investment, none of this will really perform well unless the price of silver skyrockets
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Iv'e collected for 55 years and with few exceptions increase in value on some circulated and other than buying as bullion very very seldom has the value increased. I'm at the other end looking to unload a bunch . It's been a fun ride but don't want my family left with disposing of them . I have accumulated 5000 to 6000 pcs. The job is daunting
Pillar of the Community
Canada
796 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MrCanada, you have become an RCM Warehouse!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1228 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JGG... Mr.Canada isn't alone... I predict a major (attempt to) sell off in the coming years.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,130Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05