Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have Any Of These Mint Products Seen A Rise In Price

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,090Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4537 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How low can it go, at GTA shows before the world changed honest dealers made no offers for unpopular NCLT, while the other dealers were offering below bullion
Valued Member
Canada
445 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@JGG... Mr.Canada isn't alone... I predict a major (attempt to) sell off in the coming years.

Agreed. I'm in the same situation. I also accumulated (35 years) 1000's of RCM items and ran out of room to store them in my Condo. Had to sell a portion of them for a huge loss :( to a local dealer in Scarborough. You probably know the dealer. I had to also put few hundred of my best on display and a large portion of paper money in glass display frames to hang on the wall, which gave me some room for other essentials to store. I still have way too much, but many are complete sets of silver dollars and lower denomination and others.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just now received a mail from RCM regarding 2020 Graduation coin.

And it is available directly from the Mint for issue price!

Valued Member
Canada
376 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not unheard of but extremely rare for RCM NCLT to gain in value over issue price.

There are a few base metal "token" sets that have gained in value, the 2007 Baby & Wedding Silver Loon sets have gained in value and as noted earlier, occasionally the first coin in a series can gain in value but generally over time, even that diminishes. (Ladybird & Tulip murano or the Pysanka).

Mintage cannot be taken as a sole measure as the baby loon sets were less than 1,000 but the $20 goalie mask set from 2009 has mintages in the low 100's (95 in the case of the Ottawa Senators) but there is not a significant premium for these.

With the NCLT premium on Silver of +/- 5x there is no intrinsic room for appreciation. The gold premium for NCLT is usually less than 2x and there is room there for appreciation as the price of gold fluctuates. In fact, most gold from before 2008/2009 has appreciated but that is a reflection of the bullion value not market desire for a given coin. You can buy all older gold pieces for essentially bullion value and if you were fortunate enough to have purchased before 2008, you are in the black. With the Silver premium and the relative lack of appreciation in the bullion market, the vast majority of Silver will remain below issue price.

All of this is why you should only purchase what fits your collecting focus and see the hobby as an expense not an investment. I collect the 36mm NCLT Silver dollars. With one or two exceptions, these are all fiscal losses but I enjoy the collection. I have been more fortunate with my $100 gold collection but recent premiums leave coins from the last 12 years underwater. If your hobby was golfing or snowmobiling... You wouldn't expect a ROI for your golf clubs or snowmobile... Just because NCLT has a face value, doesn't make it an investment... NCLT and investment shouldn't be used as interchangeable terms.

There is an investment aspect to collecting circulated coins but that is a different beast, can involve TPG organizations and requires a fairly deep knowledge of a given market and/or coin series and is subject to market cycles and whims. But that is a different forum page
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1228 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As said above "You wouldn't expect a ROI for your golf clubs or snowmobile". When I am approached about the investment value - I simply tell people... I collect as a hobby, What do you do? Whatever the sport or pass-time all hobbies take a substantial toll on your wallet (I know a lady with 10's of thousands of dollars in 'Beading supplies') Most hobbies essentially end in zero return on investment. At least with NCLT if you've collected silver or gold - there is at least some value, and it can be reasonably returned to cash with a phone call or two for bullion (substantially more time to get some 'collectors value') But... it won't be nothing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2705 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As they say, "You can't take it with you". With so many coin collectors in their 50's and 60's, one must wonder what will happen to your coin collection when you die. It is great if one of your heirs is a coin collector that appreciates the gift of your collection. Unfortunately that is unlikely the case since there are so few young people interested in hobbies, let alone coin collecting.

As others have pointed out, dealers are not interested in buying unpopular NCLT or just paying bullion melt or lower. So why? It's simple, low demand for coins. Why would any dealer pay much for coins that they can't sell to non-existing collectors? 10,15,20 years ago mintages were 10,000, 15,000, 20,000+. Now anything above 2000 have trouble selling out

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will we have many weddings in 2020?

Grab the CAD 20 Wedding Set, before all of them sent to RCM back and destroyed.
After all, not sure, if RCM will publish the numbers for the final mintages. If it has 'special coin' included - the set might be very rare after few years....

This is assumption though.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2066 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Superman coins, specially the first 2 years made very well.
Also, I remember the first Dyno of the Glow in the Dark series 2012: Pachyrhinosaurus.

But most of the coins ger its prices reduced.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back, Arianzo

Nice to see that you are well

Many coins have been minted and melted since then....but the formula of popularity of RCM coins haven't been changed:

Popular all-appealing design and theme
Mass media focus
Better id first in series
and some luck / randomness

but for a long time, very few are the winners.
From a recent years only 2oz Voyageur, 1-st Pysanka and 1st UFO come to mind.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
796 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It used to be that the 2007 Iridescent coin was $400USD raw coin. The 2009 Canadiens and Maple Leafs goalie mask coins have been big winners as well if you were lucky enough to buy one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2066 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Silveroid !

What have been going on around here ...?
Edited by arianzo
06/13/2020 6:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Arianzo:

You haven't missed much.
General lack of previous interest to the large mints releases.
Reduced mintages and unproportionally increase of the releases from everywhere.
Some people left, some reduced collections and some continue to follow the scope of the collection.

Might be there are people who buys every gold coin that RCM releases, but there are no posts about it....

No one trying to get anymore all every coin, which "possible will do well".

The 'unbreakable' leaders among coins are Silver Dollars and annual coin sets (not the gift sets).

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2066 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Reduced mintages and unproportionally increase of the releases from everywhere.

Well, people were asking to have the mintage reduced but as well the amount of releases per month.

Quote:
No one trying to get anymore all every coin, which "possible will do well".

Really? Maybe because almost every coin doesn't do well....

I received some ads, it seems they sold very well the Graduation coin.

I have been super busy, Now I have some free time so I'd stick around

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I received some ads, it seems they sold very well the Graduation coin.

It possible that someday coin will be popular.
First ever issue.
Similar to 2011 "Baby Feet" coin.

But for now, the coin is available in the Mint, banner says, that 73% have been sold.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,090Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05