Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Halfpenny - Authenticy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 403Next Topic  

Greece
15 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  12:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DLM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys

Just won auction this but not invoiced yet.

My most expensive purchase (by far) so just want some piece of mind here from my fellow collectors.

I've done alot of study and the coin legit in my eyes. Also from reputable dealer.

Please let me know if there is a problem with authenticy / fake / altered etc.

I grade it a F+ / VF

Thankyou in advance

Edited by DLM
05/21/2020 02:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17092 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK at first glance in the pictures.
F/VF OK for the grade.
Perhaps of the half of the 1923's have characteristic die cracks; this one typical - can be found on the base of the lettering on the obverse.

Australian based collectors have an advantage in that,
if there is any doubt they can take it in person to
Noble Numismatics or Downies, who deal with these on a very regular basis, and are able to express a highly respected professional opinion.

I deal with these guys on a regular basis, because of their recognised international reputation.

I think it is quite OK,
but you may consider shipping it to Australia for an in hand inspection and an opinion on the grading. A fee may be involved. Preliminary inquiry with high quality pictures could be helpful, and may obviate the need to ship to them, for the closer examination.

Both are also very professional with ancient coins.
Greece
15 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DLM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sel

I actually purchased it from Downies Auctions. Same company? They seem very reputable that's why I purchased it
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17092 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Provenance suggests that you have done good.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything that makes me nervous about the authenticity. Nice addition to the collection IMO.
Valued Member
Australia
287 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks ok to me and a nice one.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
895 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Authentic and will grade around VF30 if you send it to PCGS
Greece
15 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DLM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks people
Will PCGS do a professional clean?

The bit of dirt between the numbers. What do you guys do. Little toothpick or not touch?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
618 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The bit of dirt between the numbers. What do you guys do. Little toothpick or not touch?

Don't touch it,its a great natural Coin.

Only treat Verdigris as a rule with Coins otherwise leave them alone.
If you must remove some dirt/crud to ID a O/D or mint/die mark use a Ultrasonic cleaner with just water or if having problems a touch of detergent,don't use the cleaning fluids advertised for them,most are snakeoil and may damage the Patina.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05