Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 SSN Large Cent -Finally Found One!!

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,167Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2988 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1876 Obv 1 dies had only 1/2 of a serif on the left lower sides of the N's in Canada and Regina. All Obv 1 dies for whatever year have full serifs including the right side. The single serif 1881 that you are looking and wishing for is not in your coin. You have a full left-part on the left serif on the bottom, but a small, weakly struck indication of the right side of the left bottom serif. It is not a SSN. The workers with the hammer and the "N" punch (or just a straight across serif section)either didn't hit it strong enough, or had it at an angle so it punched the already punched left side of the lower left serif much more than the right. You have a VG heavily corroded OBV 1 1881 that might not even make it into the $1 junk bin. Take a close look at the right side of the lower left serif in Regina... it's been attempted to be corrected full-serif N, changing the 1876 die into a normal Obv 1.
Edited by okiecoiner
06/01/2020 07:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info okie.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
799 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mcshilling, can you supply better picture's of this coin?

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
441 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Hounddog Bill that better photos are needed, especially brighter. I tried some enhancements and it sure has a good chance at single serifs. The N in REGINA looks to have a little circulation mark where the repunch of the serif would be, and the one in CANADA looks like it has dirt there.

Edited by TerryT
06/01/2020 7:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2988 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I still think that his initial photos clearly show a weak right foot on the N in Regina. Terry, yours that brightens it up seems to blank it out .. it doesn't even look like the same coin. I've seen lots of '81's with really weak right side serifs on the N's that I could have sworn were SSN's on Ebay .. but, in hand, the right side is there and weak.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TerryT thanks for brightening up my pic that was on my list of things to do today.

The pics I posted are very close to what the coin looks like, dark and well circulated.
Valued Member
Canada
441 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
McShilling, take a toothbrush, put several drops of vegetable oil on the cent and clean it up, and try the close-up photos again.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,167Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05