Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1818 1/2 Crown - Counterfeit But Contemporary Or Modern

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 139Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  6:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up recently as part of a coin lot.

Pretty sure it's a counterfeit as it's not silver and weighs only 12.04 grams. (Diameter is 32 mm). The question I'm hoping someone can answer is whether it's a modern repro or contemporary.

The color suggests copper, which I wouldn't think would be the metal of choice for a modern fake, and the blackish patination around the edges on both faces could be the remains of the original coloring agent (mercury based metal perhaps?).

Any thoughts or ideas at all would be most welcome.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6721 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a contemporary counterfeit to me. You see quite a few of them in dealers' trays over here in the UK. I imagine there must have been an upsurge in counterfeiting just after 1816: members of the public would have been unfamiliar with the new coins, and the sudden deluge of new coins in circulation after a long coin shortage might have encouraged the counterfeiters.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
372 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  03:36 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say definitely contemporary forgery. As far as I know, no one is faking the forgeries yet! (Not worth enough to make it worthwhile.)
This website should help you identify which version you have:
http://www.steppeulvene.com/index.halfcrown.html

Valued Member
United Kingdom
368 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, as Paddy and Rob say, contemporary, and quite common. Fakes of the 1816-1820 issue shillings and sixpences are also often seen.
Here is an 1819 half crown I have, from which most of the sliver coating has worn away.

Edited by Hogarth
05/23/2020 04:50 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
368 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And here is my contemporary counterfeit 1817 half crown, from which all original silvering has disappeared.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You see so many copper-alloy (as opposed to the white metal type) 1816-1820 George III contemporary counterfeit shillings/half crowns with zero or barely any trace of silvering - long past the point where they would've (should've?) fooled anyone... Along those lines, I've seen it suggested that at least some were intended as gaming tokens - similar to the

Any thoughts? If you think of the 1820s-dated imitations of sovereigns and double sovereigns - which clearly couldn't have fooled anyone into thinking they were gold - this might make some sense.

--------

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 139Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05