Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918 LWC For Your Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 274Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4063 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$70. You think it makes RD? I'm on the fence. I'm thinking 64 RB/RD for this.

Edited by Adam_E
05/22/2020 8:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47803 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color in right obverse field is dark in these pics - please try again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4063 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure Ill grab another pic focusing on that area right now
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4063 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the best I could get, but it's probably over exposed now. There is a bit of "haze" in that area, probably from a fingerprint if I were to guess. This coin is fairly difficult for me to image, if you need more, let me know.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3770 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haze a bit worrisome since it could be PVC but other than that looks 65-RD to me. Might want to hit the green spot on the N with a bit of Verdi-Care too.
Edited by fenton
05/23/2020 08:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47803 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
65RD seems possible, but that spot behind the neck is an issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6933 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63RD
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9302 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's likely to grade RB and 64 is as high as I'd go. There may have been a recoloring attempt at some point.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3770 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be worth soaking this one in pure acetone. I think some of that haze and spotting might clear up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4063 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There may have been a recoloring attempt at some point.

Interesting you say that, the same seller had a couple similar early Lincoln cents in an UNC details altered color holder. I figured it was possible that this one may have been messed with.

Quote:

Might be worth soaking this one in pure acetone. I think some of that haze and spotting might clear up.

I will be doing that + a xylene soak and a VerdiCare treatment for that reverse spot.
Edited by Adam_E
05/22/2020 11:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16429 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! 64, 65 if a conservation is successful. I don't think the coin has been "messed with".

There appears to be a light layer of carbonate verdigris, it will be instantly removed with VC. The VC towel method with almost no pressure would work well. I think the haze in the right obverse field is from a fingerprint. It probably cannot be removed.

The small green speck and copper carbonate film point to improper storage. If you have some VC, I'd skip other solvents and use it directly. Form a bubble over the whole, reverse surface and let it sit for a 2-3 minutes. Then work that green spot (under the bubble) with a toothpick, start gentle and build force, if needed. If it doesn't budge, leave the VC bubble dome to soak for 30 minutes, then repeat with the toothpick. If no progress, you may have to soak the whole coin for 24 hours (use a sealed container for that).

Good luck! This coin is worth the effort IMO.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4063 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the advice BadThad! I have a small bottle of VC that I got from you a couple years ago, should it be stable enough to try or should I just get a new one?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13372 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Then work that green spot (under the bubble) with a toothpick, start gentle and build force, if needed. If it doesn't budge, leave the VC bubble dome to soak for 30 minutes, then repeat with the toothpick. If no progress, you may have to soak the whole coin for 24 hours (use a sealed container for that).

Say what ! Don't you know Verdi-Care is hard to come by ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the coin! The photos' white balance may be a bit off--skewing what we see color/tone-wise. In hand, it could be a RD/BR, with emphasis on RD. MS64 me thinks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2015 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say MS-64RB.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05