Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 9 Over Inverted 9 (9/6) Study (Lots Of Pictures)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 314Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
612 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  2:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tfred to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So my question is this...Can you designate a 9 over 6 on a worn coin using the markers only? I can't see the 6 under the 9 on the worn coin (second set of pictures). But it looks like it has all of the markers as a genuine 9/6 (first set of pictures.

GENUINE 9/6 COIN

WORN 9/6 (MAYBE?)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2988 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin that you are asking about is the 9/6 type 1. There is a type 2 as well, but different markers and the type 2 has a well offset 5/5 from a repunch.

There are other Obv markers for the type 1. You have the "fire" on the upper serif on the C in Canada. The T in Gratia right stem, N in Canada upper right serif D/C & bottom left. C in Victoria, D/D bottom right. I've had 2 of these and the VF-30 that I had has much less indication inside the loop than a VG that I had. I think that, as the die struck more coins, the 6 inside the loop and in the gap got polished/worn off pretty well. The VG showed everything real well and the VF-30 was pretty hard to see, but was there. I don't think that yours is a 9/6.
Edited by okiecoiner
05/24/2020 5:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2988 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what I call my "buttburner" as a possible 9/6. The coin was fine for 99% of the coin, but an unfortunate gash in the 1% that I needed to see burned me.

Here are mic photos of the C in Canada, the vine break at 2, and the D/C at 12. When I first saw this at a show, I just cursed under my breath and handed over the $2 for the coin.

For some reason I couldn't upload the image of the D/C at 12. I'll try again
Pillar of the Community
United States
797 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin is the 9/6 Haxby PC59-145. The second coin is not. The stem to leaf 9 is different and the location of the 9 in the date is higher.

I think the second coin is Haxby PC59-146 with the same Obverse 45a but a different reverse I7a.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 6.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05