Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Coin Grading Website?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,253Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinWorldCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, actually. I just need to work on the website before I make it public. So I am good to go, will start working on this project today! :D
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, for one, would look forward to using your website.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2981 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your work will be greatly appreciated and a nice reference. Just don't try to reinvent the wheel. There have been some very good grading sites in the past and PCGS and NGC have convinced many collectors that they HAVE TO HAVE their coins graded .. it was propaganda at its best. It unnerves me that many newer collectors now collect by the numbers that someone thought appropriate rather than actually learning how to grade. I look forward to seeing the finished product that resides between your ears.
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with @okiecoiner about reinventing the wheel. If you're going to do this, do something new.

Here's a crazy idea - just blue sky here - no idea whether it's practical. Maybe the bioxrv.org model that's evolved in scientific publishing could be inspirational? When scientists publish their work it goes through a fairly standardized process. They start by submitting a manuscript to one of the many journals and an editor sends it out for peer review by several qualified peer scientists. The reviews come back, the editor makes a decision and usually, if the decision is at all favourable, the author has to make a detailed response to the reviews - sometimes including additional experimental work. Then it goes public - prior to that it's all private.

bioxrv inverts that. In this case, scientists post draft manuscripts of their publications on a public site before review. People who are interested can then read the pre-print and make comments, pose questions to the authors - there are often lengthy conversations. Often these conversations are between people who have never met before. After all this, the scientist can edit their paper and submit it to an actual journal. Or they can put another year's work into it to improve it.

There are all kinds of issues as far as scientific work is considered but it's a fascinating inversion and it's the most innovative thing that's come to the otherwise stagnant and stultifying world of academic publishing in decades.

I think something like this would be a very interesting match for coin grade - and that it would energize the hobby in general. I don't know about all of you guys but whenever I post something here I'm always very curious to see how it will be received and what alternative ideas to the one I post will turn up.

So, would it be possible to have a site where there's a grade description in text, maybe a few examples or maybe not, where people can submit their pictures of their coins. These would then be posted publicly and people (e.g. all of us nobs) could comment and make suggestions. There could be voting - coins would move up and down based on the cumulative vote. Or not - I'm not sure about that...

There would need to be some rules: the photos would have to be of sufficient quality - you could be quite specific about that. And any comments would have to be civil - there would need to be a mechanism to bar people if they act like jerks...I'm sure that's doable.

Over time, a sort of gallery of coins would be built upe. I think it would be super-cool and very engaging. I imagine the educational value for someone who is just getting in to coin collecting. It could have a fair bit of utility as well - I have a lot of coins that I would like to get graded but I typically reserve PCGS grading for coins that I think are worth it. That is, the grade would put the coin at a predicted value level that would be worth the expense of grading.

There could be various levels of editorial control of course - and for that matter you might need a sort of editorial board. There's a lot to think about...
Valued Member
Canada
474 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a great idea. I use the Saskatoon Coin Club's site, but as you mention, there is missing information.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05