Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help!! 1978 Quarter Under Weight!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 432Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I am new here & fairly new to coin collecting...
Also not sure if I am even posting in the right spot.
Anyways I have a 1978 clad quarter that weighs exactly 5gm.
I am aware the highest weight of a traditional quarter is 5.8gm with the lowest being 5.4gm.. if it isn't traditonal, what is it?
Is this a mint error, does it have any value?
Anything anyone can tell me about this quarter is highly appreciated!
Thank you in advance
Pillar of the Community
United States
3262 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF... would help us help you
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a traditional quarter to me... I can't seem to get the other pictures to submit down to the required upload size
Learn More...
United States
16331 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@as88, first welcome to CCF. Second, I think that we are going to need better pics to help you. Here is a link to the tutorial--the free image optimizer should help get the file size down:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The file optimizer was no help.. there is another way to download it in order to upload it though
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the edge is smooth, only one side is completely ridged
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2056 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a dryer coin
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But why is it .7gm under weight compared to other quarters.. even if a dryer had banged it up, it shouldn't lose weight.. right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4134 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
42 years of circulation will remove that much weight. It is a well circulated and most definitely a spender.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3262 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also looks like the reverse (eagles head,neck and breast) has been filed down in some manner....makes it a spender if I had it
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16630 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How good is your scale?
Gary Schmidt
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AutumnStorms88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my scale it accurate!! I dug into the coin spending jar just playing around weighing coins..
Every nickel weighed 5grams.. most quarters weighed 5.7 but one or 2 came in at 5.8 & a few at 5.6.. also just to test I folded a $1 bill up & weighed it - weighed 1gram as it's suppose too! I appreciate your advice very much
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05