Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Issues With Negativity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1762 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  10:38 am Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I've been noticing some rather hostile behavior towards newcomers. I will not be naming any names at all, as that would be very rude of me.

I understand it can be difficult to tolerate people being "stupid" when it comes to posting photos and other things, but they're new to this, some of them are older as well and not familiar with technology. So can we maybe show more grace rather than scaring off some of the new participants?

Now I'm sure a few of you will roll your eyes when you see this, maybe even insult me, but the community itself is meant to be welcoming, and I know so many of you have done so much to make it like that and I applaud you. And those that have been getting annoyed with these new people and their failure of uploading photos correctly or other such things, or thinking obvious PMD is an error, please be more understanding and understand that they are new to all of this.

Now please, take this next statement with a grain of salt. And please, this is not to call anyone out, or accuse anyone of anything. But one of the members here basically made a post saying they were leaving the forum, and just said thank you to everyone and that was about it. A few minutes later the topic was moved to the Testing area which is perfectly fine, as it was in the wrong section. But then, I noticed that the entire post was deleted, along with a few of their other posts.

I thought that this was unnecessary as the goodbye should've been seen by the forum, rather than being deleted off the plain of existence.

Now Staff, you have done so so so much I can't even stress it. Please do not take offense to this at all I beg you, as I respect all of you to the highest degree. But I thought that that was a bit unneeded. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

This topic might get deleted, I have no idea, and if it does, so be it. I understand that staff might not want this up here which makes complete sense.

But yeah, that's all I have to say. And I know this isn't even really worthy of the Coin Community Family Topic section as others are dealing with so much, and that do need the support.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Error Want List (Important): http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34125 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am the one that mostly tells members to crop and rotate coin/photos properly before posting. If new members, as well as members with a decent amount of post are not informed they are not doing the photo thing properly, they will never do it properly. I guess I can, and will stop doing that.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1762 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 that is in no way what I am talking about. What you do and so many others do, is good and it gives them guidance. I am referring to other instances.

I myself have done that as well, again, that is not what I'm talking about. I am not someone that screams when someone accidentally touches me.

This entire topic might've been a mistake as it is clear that people might take the wrong meaning of it. So again John, I appreciate all you've done and I did not make this topic for people to turn against me.

I was referring to other incidents.

EDIT: I wanted to make this post when I saw the topic get deleted, this is only a small fraction of it. I was also inclined to make it because I'm not the only person that has been realizing this. I've seen posts within topics stating for others to please be more kind and such. I will not name names, I am simply just bringing this up.

This is so minor, as I stated, that it isn't even worthy of being posted on the CCF Family Topics. This is a VERY MINOR thing. I just thought I could possibly bring a new point of view.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Edited by SilverCents
05/25/2020 10:56 am
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20581 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's always the same few that can be very condescending about it, whether I end it or they end it, it will end soon. Trust me, they know who they are so this is the last warning. If you can't help without being condescending or sounding like a jerk, then just don't help.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't matter what forum you are on, there will always be these kind of people on it.
98% of us are here to help out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1762 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bobby, I'll leave this all to you.

suipakpaikkungfu you are correct, but when it gets to a point where new members are quitting, that's when it becomes an issue.

Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know what you mean, I absolutely cannot stand when people have hostility towards newcomers, and then whine and moan about the hobby dying as if they aren't one of the main causes.

That said I have seen some newbies get rather rude when told that their damaged coin isn't a valuable error, and sometimes being a bit more blunt is required when someone won't listen, but being rude towards people looking to learn is a no bueno to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1762 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yes very much so Numis-Northerner, we have quite a few new members that do indeed throw around insults and deny any information we give them. I forgot to mention that. They are an exception, not that you should fight fire with fire, but it is completely understandable why you would be a bit "not very kind" to those people when they won't take your advice, or anyone else's.

But I'm more or less talking about the other half. But you are 100% correct, and I agree with you.

Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you also mind linking some examples of this happening in threads if you don't mind? I would like to see how some of these situations played out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1762 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would rather not name name's, as I said before. Bobby knows who's been doing it, and he'll take care of it. I do not wish to expose anyone at all. I appreciate your interest however.

I will name the newcomer that left because of this though. Their name is Annaann911, however the topics that included such have been deleted. That is all I will say.

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20581 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you also mind linking some examples of this happening in threads if you don't mind?

You won't find (m)any. We delete them when we see them. But when new people post they usually monitor their posts tightly eager for good news and see this crap before we do.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2395 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for bringing this up SilverCent,

As you stated, some newbies are just that, and scaring them off does nothing for this community, or the hobby in general.

When I see a condescending/insulting post I usually just quietly "report to staff" and it's usually taken care of very quickly - although not publicly - so it might seem like nothing is being done (but it is).

I will say this to, this site is extremely "well kept" compared to 99% of the crap out there. One of the reasons I stuck around as a newbie is that I wasn't made to feel like a dummy for as newbie questions... food for thought for anyone replying to ANY thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1762 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Bobby.

That's true Wade. Thanks for letting me know, I forgot about the report to staff feature. I will agree with this. I truly admire this forum, as it's extremely well kept and I've been treated very well, and I've seen so many others as well. I've just now kind of noticed this popping up, so that's why it seemed rather unusual and, as I said before, what got me up and doing this was the fact that a member quit because of this.

Again, this forum is beyond amazing and it has such a large supply of amazing and kind people. But I've just started to see things arise. Thanks again for Staff being quick to take care of such matters, all my respect goes to them.

Pillar of the Community
5119 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To all the trouble makers:

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05