Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 Canada 25c Quarter That Appears To Be Silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 496Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  10:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ggilker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
I have a coin that has an odd tarnish compared to any other nickel quarters. This coin also will leave a grey line on paper when the edge is pulled along. Coin is not magnetic. Any feedback is appreciated.
Sorry for the image quality.
thank you

Pillar of the Community
Canada
899 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

What's the weight?

Can you post better photos?
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Learn More...
Canada
9136 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a contemporary counterfeit. The high lead content is why you see a grey streak on paper.

Illegal to own in Canada.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ggilker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HI
thank you for the feedback.
The weight is 6g. I do not have a scale into decimals.
I redid the pictures, best I could do.
All feedback is appreciated.
thank you

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1664 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lead counterfeit as said earlier.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ggilker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
So why would someone go to the trouble to make a coin like this?
thank you
Pillar of the Community
Canada
899 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first I thought it might just be environmental damage, like it was buried.

But a normal 1978 quarter should weigh 5.05 g, so yes, it looks like a counterfeit as SPP and Nickelsguy have said (both of whom have loads of experience with fake coins).

We see all sorts of weird experiments with coins on here, plated, hacked up, vise jobs, etc.
Some people have a lot of time on their hands...
Learn More...
Canada
9136 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen similar counterfeits dating into the mid-1980s... usually, these are lower quality than the white metal counterfeit coins prior to 1940. Anything after the 1950s tends to be lead or lead-tin mixture with a nickel or silver plating on them.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this coin cast?
Edited by JGpenny
05/28/2020 7:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1664 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please remember that it is illegal to buy, sell or own counterfeit Canadian coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 496Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05