Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With ID Of 4 Indo-Greek Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 832Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  1:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coincollector29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am bit new to coins and need help to ID these 4 coins.
Also I'm sure the seller is a legit, but are these real or fake as I know that this can happen to anyone and the seller said these were unresearched coins.

Edited by coincollector29
05/27/2020 03:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4970 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upper left:
Philoxenus drachm

Lower left:
Agathokles tet (BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΑΓΑΘΟΚΛΕOYΣ)

Upper right:
Antialcidas? drachm

Lower right:
Eukratides fraction, with pilei and palm branches (ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΕΥΚΡΑΤΙΔΟΥ)

The upper right one, perhaps Antialcidas, shows filing (visible on the bottom of the reverse), general softness, and pitting. Might be cast. Also, one would expect the Agathokles to be of superior style. Curious to see what others say...
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Curious to see what others say...

I have proven myself incapable of spotting fakes on a consistent basis, but that piece in the upper right scares me too. I didn't even notice that the casting sprue had been filed off at first, but now that you mention it, I can't unsee it.

@cc29, welcome to CCF. You can expect a few more opinions on these, but consider if 1/4 is a one-look fake, that maybe you don't want to buy any of them.

Also, it isn't a big deal, but since fine details and weight are so important, best practice is have a new thread (with separate weights) for each separate coin.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies ;), I just bought them recently and I will get them in the post in a week. Should I mention the top right coin to the seller?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1875 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

IMO...And I'm no expert (So take this with a pinch of salt)...
But just taking Bobs ID's and doing a quick search on vcoins I dont like the look of any of them!...
Could be due to the photos but overall texture/fabric and style all looks wrong...But like I said IMO...

Edit..Just out of curiosity did you buy these from ebay or a private seller/auction house? Have you checked the fake sellers list?
Edited by Palouche
05/26/2020 3:59 pm
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got these from ebay.
The person selling them seems to not recognise that some could be fake and these coins were unresearched.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1875 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe check out this list first...
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/bo...opic=18502.0
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I cannot find him, and he has been on ebay for over a year and has a lot of good reviews.
But I believe he hasn't done it on purpose and I can get a refund if I request to.
When I get them I will weigh them individually and look at the sides as well.
05/26/2020 4:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1875 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, I cannot find him

That's a plus.....As I said it's just my opinion...
Hopefully others with more experience in these types will comment...
Pillar of the Community
United States
979 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the seller's ID? The best way to judge is often to have a look at the range of a seller's offerings. I don't like what I am seeing in your photos.
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He has sold quite a few coins. But he has mentioned that the coins he sold to me were passed on to him.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would advise caution, because Indo-Greek coins are heavily counterfeited. Almost all of the ones I bought turned out to be fakes. At the very least I'd get individual weights of the coins and compare these with what they should weigh. One place to find comparisons is coinindia.com.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5896 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All four look fake to me.

This is the exact reason my Indo Greek collection includes only a few coins from the most common rulers - most are fairly easy to detect, but some are made so well they could pass the scrutiny of an expert.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
23033 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Sadly these are all fakes as has been pointed out by other replies.
United Kingdom
12 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just received them and they look much better than in the picture.

What do you think?

05/27/2020 08:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4970 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others. Likely all fake. Sorry.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 832Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05