Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For The Best Buy For Your Next Coin Purchase.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 294Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45265 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  2:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking for the best by for your next coin purchase?
I was looking at the PCGS site at coins for image purposes and adding new images of stuff that will help everyone on the forum. While looking for a different subject I noticed something that the grading companies don't consider when they grade coins. They list the grade and the prices and regardless of die state, they have them all listed the same. So does die state make a difference to most collectors. Probably not. But the more you are learning about coins you realize it does make a difference when you look at the coin. Sure coins don't sing, or run the quarter mile any faster, but to the collector who plans someday to sell the coin he purchases, why not get the best die state possible? Some will say: "Oh thats too hard, or that too much bother." We it is not when you know what to look for. I was looking a the 1939 Nickel DDR-002 also FS-802. This one is a quad die which means it shows larger spread on the hubbing. On a triple or quad die, not all devices will show the separation as much, but on this one the spread is there.

So what do you look at for a better die state. I examine the fields, the devices and the overall appeal that these coins will have. On this set of images I made the top image the fresher die state and the aging dies in progress lower on the sets of devices in groups of three images. This way you can see what I look for on a coin. Note on the first images the smoother fields. Now smooth fields don't always mean that the coin is an earlier die state. Why? Because die polishing can also make the fields smooth. But during this process the devices get thinner. So if the fields look too nice, then look to see if the devices are thinned? If so then it was probably recently polished. If the devices look nicer in shape. They don't the wrinkles on the fields and the devices look fresh, then you may have an earlier die state. On Nickels there is also an issue with the master hub aging and the devices will start off even in the earlier die states, show the devices mushy. So sometimes you will have to look at the obverse die (which I did for these images) to see if the reverse dies started off mushy to begin with. I didn't notice a die crack issue on one area of the devices and realized that they are were showing the master hub wear. But I spotted out of 6 the three I used for this series. I set them in order better to worse. Then create the side by side below. Hope this will help you see that the devices do show wear as the dies ages, the fields really yells out, I'm Old as they age. Another coin to determine die age if to look as die scratches. These will help you to see that as the die ages , the die scratches on the open fields will start to loose their freshness.

So did you spot the ones you would want to buy and the ones you would want to pass on? Someday the grading services may start identifying die state on the coins. But until they do, scoop up a better grade coin, because not you know what to look for on getting a fresher die state.

CoopHome : How to pick an earlier die state?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rather have a sharp new strike to squishy strike definitely
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45265 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing die wear appear on the coins will help you determine what to watch for on your next purchase. Note how TRUST on Lincoln Cents shows as an area to watch for on these cents:

On the EPU area you can see on the reverse on Lincoln wheat cents, what to look for as for die wear and how the devices are affected by die wear:

Proof cents also show die wear with just a limited amount of strikes But still show some die wear:

As the dies ages, the devices actually walk to the edge of the rim area. Note on these examples:

On the date area on Lincoln Cents there is a definite direction to look for die wear on this area of the date and mintmark area:

Die wear on the older Lincoln cents were a different issue. Normally the die wear is always in the same direction. From the center towards the rim direction with the dies devices wearing on the outside edges of the devices. But during the earlier years, there was an issue with the date wearing on the inside edges of the devices:

This made we wonder for years why this rule of die wear didn't apply. Then the other day it hit me. Those were the years with the larger rim on the outside edge of the cents.

But looking at die wear as a negative thing and lack of die wear as a plus, the fresher dies make the nicer looking coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45265 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickels also show a lot of die flow lines that move the rim direction:

Note the die wear making the tops of the devices taller because of the die wear. This is not a doubled die, but the die wear moving towards the rim:

DDD Die Deterioration Doubling is seen on the single squeeze dies a bit different. The devices don't move, but the fields next to the devices move:

Seen also on other coins:
Cents

Seen also on other coins:

Dimes

Quarters

So while this is just another form of die wear, it is a coin to avoid if you want to save a new die state. Sometimes it takes just looking at a lot of this to become away that this happens all the rim When the coins get into the LDS and VLDS range, they are only about half done with the die. So a lot of these coins are out there. Buy the pass on the rest.

Just 184 images.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
05/26/2020 6:08 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05