Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Green Stuff On This Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 471Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  06:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coinland -
Can someone tell me what the green stuff is on this coin? I'm guessing that this is a copper coin and that it's therefore copper oxide. I'm wondering if this should be a deal-breaker for purchase? The seller lists this as XF - which seems within ballpark for me though I'm concerned about the surfaces....

Pillar of the Community
United States
4726 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like verdigris.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13620 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdigris and or corrosion . Looks like a nice old coin with a great design . If the price from the seller is right , you might want to send it to NGC for conservation .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17076 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google Images:
'Coins from the wreck of the Admiral Gardner'

British East india Company Bronze coins from this wreck were recovered in their thousands.
Interestingly, a lot of them survived with almost no evidence of seawater corrosion on them at all!
I have seen three denominations:
V CASH, X CASH and XX CASH.

An interesting piece of numismatic history hardware, with a shipwreck provenance.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks - hadn't thought of any of that. There's a fair number of these on eBay but the green schmutz threw me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3495 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carbonate, not oxide.

And I bet this coin looks nicer in hand than the photos show.
Edited by tdziemia
05/27/2020 9:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15740 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!

I have this:

Edited by Dorado
05/27/2020 10:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17076 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be more exact, verdigris is a variable combination of
copper hydroxycarbonate and copper hydroxychloride.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69l - thanks! I clearly need to read up on my transition element chemistry!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17076 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silver101:
Forgive me, perhaps I was being a bit too pompous.

I have been looking around on line metal for detecting sites and the cleaning of coins recovered from burial, and in particular, bronze coins that have been affected by verdigris.

Some of the methods I have looked at are well worth further investigation. No doubt museums are familiar with some of the procedures that I have found.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19348 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF the price is low enough, might be worth a little bit of money using miscellaneous products to clean off that green.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Verdi-Care on some coins. stops the process from continuing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 471Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05