Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can I Promote The CCF In My Upcoming Canadian Error & Variety Book?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  1:39 pm Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

as some of you may already know, I am currently finishing up my Canadian Small Cent Error & Variety book and I was hoping maybe an admin could shed some light on a question I have, forgive me if this is not in the proper section.

I would like to promote the CCF in my literature and was hoping someone could let me know if this is something that would be acceptable, this forum has become very dear to me and without the help and guidance of a few members on here steering me in the right direction on certain finds I would not have been able to make my book possible.

All finds not discovered by me that are included have been given the proper recognition to the individual/individuals as I have reached out to them out of respect with good responses, all photos and media within are of my own to use as I see fit.

I would really like to direct my readers to the Coin Community forum in certain circumstances but I did not want to do so until I touched base with someone with some authority on here so there is no confusion when it is released.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20582 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely! Much appreciated!
Valued Member
Canada
462 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Bobby would likely be the best to reach out to. I don't think there would be any problems with shouting out the CCF, but make sure to ask him anyway.

Also where do you think I could get a copy of this book?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
853 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Absolutely! Much appreciated!

Thank you bobby131313, you have my appreciation in return, I'm glad this is acceptable.

Quote:
Also where do you think I could get a copy of this book?

Numis-Northerner, I plan to launch it through various stores online and off as an eBook and Hardcopy, originally I was going to only launch a Hardcopy but I thought the US and World members & collectors would appreciate an easier approach on obtaining a copy by offering an eBook version if for some reason they can not get their hands on a hardcopy version.

This book will be in Volumes with Volume One launching in the next few weeks, I have came to the conclusion that the search for Errors & Varieties on Canadian small cents will always be ongoing and I felt it was only right to continue producing them in volumes once a year, every error/variety shown will have anywhere from 3 to 6 informative and dedicated pages each with lots of photos.

This book is dedicated to Genuine errors and varieties and not so much of the "Common" kind in hopes to weed out most of the common things and bring the harder to find errors and varieties into light.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

Learn More...
Canada
9136 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you could "donate" a half page or full page advertisement at the back of your book, entirely to promote CCF?

For example, after all the error photos and help I gave Christian Houle with his Elizabeth 1-cent error book, he kindly donated me a page of advertising... it is a good way to thank those who contribute.

You could also sell 1/4, 1/2 or full page advertisements to various dealers whom are known to actively promote and sell varieties and errors. CCCS might be interested as they are the only Canadian company to attribute and grade errors. Canadian Coin & Currency, Colonial Acres, Alliance Coin & Banknote, and Metro Coin & Banknote all might have an interest in paying for advertising - heck, I'd probably be interested as well (also as a means to support your endeavour).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe you could "donate" a half page or full page advertisement at the back of your book, entirely to promote CCF?

SPP-Ottawa, this is something I would most certainly be willing to do for every volume I produce, I have no issues donating a full page or two of advertising to promote the CCF and would be more than happy to if allowed and that is why I asked.

The CCF is like my second home and I would not feel good if I did not include it and promote all that we do here, it would be my humble way of repaying the forum and all those who have helped me along the way.

With that said, If any members have any errors/varieties they think I would be interested in including from 1937 to 2012 along with recognition there is still room and time for them to be added and I encourage them to reach out. Do keep in mind I am steering clear of common things like heavy Die Deterioration and Machine Doubling unless they are accompanied by genuine errors or varieties.

I would also be willing to listen to any requests on advertising if members have websites of their own that include Canadian Small Cents, I would like this book to have as much useful information as possible.

SPP-Ottawa, if you would like some advertising space in my book you can reach out with any requests, I would be more than happy to help as you have helped me out more than enough in return.

Learn More...
Canada
9136 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, errors and varieties are two completely different animals, unless you are specifically referring to die errors (which results in a variety)...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, errors and varieties are two completely different animals, unless you are specifically referring to die errors (which results in a variety)...

To clear this up, when I refer to Errors I am talking about things like Clips, Strike throughs, Die Clashes and any Error made during the strike of the coin.

When I refer to Varieties I am talking about things like Doubled Dies, Bead and Denticle variations, Design changes ect, Before the coin is struck.

For example, the 1951 1 Cent Doubled Die Obverse has 2 different varieties, the one Ken Potter discovered with doubling shown on the "GRATIA" and "REX" portion along with "HP", and the one I discovered with doubling shown on the "DEI" and "GRATIA" portion resulting in two different varieties.

Another example of a Variety would be the 1983 1 Cent Near and Far beads.

When I also refer to "Common Errors/Varieties" I also mean things like over polished dies, Die Deterioration, Machine Doubling, and even some Doubled Dies are actually fairly common.

Another example would be The 1970 1 cent DDR I have deemed as common as I have more than 25 examples and there are 2 varieties of DDR for this year, the DDR with date + Canada (less common but still easily found) and the DDR with only Canada being doubled which is more common.

Edited by JohnWayne007
05/27/2020 4:45 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9136 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok - I didn't know you were expanding this project into errors.

There are almost an endless amount of errors with small cents... you might want to look into the classification systems of errors, so there is a structure that most error collectors know. Alan Herbert has written extensively on this... and distilled it into three basic categories (planchet, die, and strike). Also, proper nomenclature should be adhered to... something that Canadian error collectors (and writers, such as the unnamed "error expert" in Canadian Coin News) are notorious for inventing their own terminology. CONECA's guides and ErrorRef are a good start.

Are you a member of CONECA?

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you a member of CONECA?

I am a member of the CONECA Forum, with intentions on joining the subscription membership later this week but unsure of which membership to choose from between the "Online Only" or the "With Magazine" but I am leaning towards the membership with the magazine as I always like information I can read in hand.

As for the errors I completely agree, they really are endless, Volume One of my book will mainly be focused on Varieties with some Errors near the end, the index of my book provides easy navigation for Variety listings, Error Listings and Planchet Error Listings kind of like how you mentioned Alan Herbert has his in 3 basic categories.

My main goal was for this book to be as easy as possible to navigate and understand wether the reader is a new collector or novice with extensive, accurate and useful information.

Long story short it is perfect for Coin Roll Hunters and collectors to have on hand for referencing while searching Canadian small cents.

I will not be releasing how many pages this book will be until I am closer to its finish, but I can say without advertisement pages and the index pages, it's big.

Learn More...
Canada
9136 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds similar to what Christian Houle did, for Elizabeth II small cents (he is now working on Elizabeth II 5c). Do you have his book? I know he wrestled for a long time with best how to present the information, in the end, he went year by year (analogous to what Hans Zoell did back in the 1960s and early 1970s).

https://canadiancoinnews.com/new-bi...s-varieties/

Here is a review:
https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylu...1n48a04.html (take the review with a grain of salt - Serge Pelletier did a lot of the translation work for that book, then wrote the review).

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9136 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lastly, if you need photos of error types for small cents, let me know. While I do have my PCGS showcase sets, more than 95% of my small cent error collection is not certified.

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05