Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd Markings 1978 Penny; Any Help?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 225Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  10:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cristiepenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I am new to the site and the hobby of coins!
I was looking at this 1978 penny and after closer look; there are what appears to be 3 letters imprinted on bottom left of Lincoln (hard to see at first because it's on the edge)
Any thoughts of what this may be? Thank you &

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34095 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Designed initials,Victor David Brenner.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48737 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2049 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

The Victor David Brenner initials were on the original 1909 Lincoln cent at the very bottom of the reverse. Some people didn't like them and said it was just a mark of a workman for the US Mint who needed no recognition and demanded that it be removed. They were removed mid year 1909 and didn't return to the coin until 1918 at the shoulder location.

Some cents dies may have the VDB polished away or filled when struck, but the VDB initials are part of the design.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Edited by Yokozuna
05/29/2020 1:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44984 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the 1909 there was a V.D.B, then removed during the same year.

In 1918 they added the V.D.B on the shoulder and it continued with the dots until 1934.

Since 1935, the initals are on the shoulder VDB without the dots.

CoopHome : V.D.B. and VDB without dots 1918
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/29/2020 2:28 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cristiepenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW thank you all so much! HAHA and this is why I haven't stepped outside of the "penny" box in the world of coins yet...there's soooooo much to learn! Very fascinating-I love how each coin holds its very own story from US history! I cannot believe I've never noticed these initials before!

Are there any other common characteristics of pennies that are often overlooked by the general eye? Or other differential details I should be looking for when assessing/analyzing? I am not sure what I should really be looking for so I just inspect for anything; but likely miss a lot of cool details I am unaware of.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44984 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of this information is probably not found anywhere else. Just stuff I figured out through the years. If you want to remember this information, you can copy it with screen shot and then you can start your own educational files. Some even copy them to a word program. But with the word program you can edit the images. (they appear on word, just can open the image on softward. On screen shot you can edit them)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05