Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-S LMC Large Date DDO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 207Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  1:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Having a tough time matching this 1970-S Large Date cent up with known DDO's. The doubling of the earlobe, chin sets this one apart, IMHO, with some sweet doubling on LIBERTY, Date, and S mintmark. IGWT is clean of doubling, oddly. Could be a mix of shelf doubling and hub doubling, not quite sure. Off to John Wexler, if he likes my pics.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4028 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Machine Doubling to me.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Pillar of the Community
United States
2825 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44987 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is a large date, but as mentioned it is Machine Doubling. Note only the outside edges of the devices are affected. Machine Doubling is very common on the 1968-1972 cents. Fooled many for years. The machine causes this. Even some real doubled dies have Machine Doubling:

Note the date digits are a doubled die, but note the yellow arrows. That is pointing towards the Machine Doubling. On a doubled die, the doubling is on the die. So if the machine can alter a normal die, it can alter a doubled die as well. Note on the areas where the yellow arrows are: Note they are reduced on those areas. On this big DDO that year most are machine doubled doubled dies. *What a bummer.* Less than 100 examples known ( PCGS says less than 30, but round it up) and they have the plague of MD. Over 100+ MD doubled die were submitted to be slabbed that were normal coins. Pay big bucks to have them tell you it is a normal coin worth a lot less that it cost to be slabbed.
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/27196991
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/30/2020 7:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1416 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, MD after looking at the images.
(I had a feeling it would be MD when the OP mentioned it was on the MM also.)
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05