Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Valerian I Silver Antoninianus, Ludwig I Unique Strike, Looks Like A Zombie

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 293Next Topic  
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  2:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not feeling as discouraged today, these came in the mail from a recommended seller, I think they look good, Ludwig I senses, I'm sure there not all Ludwig, 1300s ar denar, I found a unique strike that looks like a zombie, (last picture), (and it's on the third picture bottom row right in the middle). has anyone seen this before? I thought this was neat, 2 Valerian I Silver Antoninianus, I can't wait to do further research

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, second picture bottom row in the middle
Learn More...
United States
16415 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't wait to do further research

Perhaps we could help you better if you take overalls of just the single Hungarian Denar that seems different and post those images? It is too hard to see details in these group shots. Thx. I'd like to compare it against mine plus the images in the reference books.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I will do that right now
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
16415 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes that is much better. In Frynas, the inscription is listed as +MONETA LODOVICI on the obv and +REGIS HVNGARIE on the rev. While your coin is missing some of those letters due to wear and an off-center strike, I feel pretty confident that yours is a match. The L and O are particularly clear on your coin. I would attribute it as Frynas H.25.32, Kopicki 10038 and Huszar 547 and date it to between 1358 and 1371 AD.

I can't really weigh in on the specific details of your Saracen's portrait, but note that the chronology of these Denars is covered extensively in a German language paper by Csaba Toth, The "Sarachen Denarius"; Folia Archaeologica 2001-2002, pp. 349-366. There is at least one member here on CCF (EddieDiz) who has an impressive medieval Hungarian collection and might be able to comment off the top of his head. Hopefully @tdz will also share his knowledge!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is great information, I will research everything you stated so I can become more familiar with them, and attempt to learn German, I'm starting to be ok with reading Ancient Greek. On coins So with my translator app I will attempt it:) this info makes me happy, thank you for your time, I hope the zombie looking portrait is something special. As I can't find another example like it. Could be nothing though
Learn More...
United States
23063 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05