Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Advice On 1976-D Bicentennial Clad Ike Dollar W/ DDO (Very Cool)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 263Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  02:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Vorken to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I hope everyone is staying safe amidst the ongoing pandemic. I came across a 1976-d Eisenhower dollar Bicentennial Clad Dollar (Type III, Sub-Type II, PCGS Reference Number this coin without the error is 7421). It is in GREAT condition. I am just getting back into collecting coins, and I thought it was gold at first, because it has such a beautiful patina. I would grade it MS-65 or 66. Maybe higher.

As I said, it's in fantastic condition (see the pics); and, I am interested in hearing a more diverse assessment. Please note that I am an amateur, and the pictures I took may not do the coin full justice. To get a closeup on the DDO, I had to zoom in on the coin; and, I don't have any Vaseline at the moment, and there is dust on the coin that looks like wear/scuffing. To be clear, this is dust. I will mention any scratches below.

The coin has a couple verrry minor flaws. On the front, there are virtually no flaws. Upon close inspection, one can see a couple light scratches. And when I say light scratches - I mean light scratches. I can BARELY see them under magnification, and I have 20:15 vision (good genes). When I was taking pictures, I noticed a DDO Error on the front.

I attached the best picture I could get (using an iPhone) to this post; however, even with it being an iPhone picture, it is quite apparent (to me) upon close inspection (in strong direct lighting), that the coin has a double die obverse. The doubling in the date is beautifully symmetrical; and, in my opinion, it creates an ever-so-slightly-different visual impression than a non-error coin.

The doubling isn't so apparent that one can look at it and clearly see two sets of lettering. And that's actually better (to me/imho); because, upon first glance, it seems normal enough; however, the coin seems ever-so-slightly "off"/different when moved in the light. A coin like this one with subtle errors is more compelling (imho) to look at than a coin with more striking errors (no pun intended... okay, yes, pun intended..).

The back of the coin, like the front, is virtually flawless; however, there is one visually apparent scratch right under the bottom tip of the bell (bottom left of DRW initials). Upon close inspection, it is about 1.5-2.0mm in length; and, from what I can see, it is the only visible flaw on the entire coin, expect perhaps one very light scratch below the bell and on the moon. Other than that, the coin is flawless. It has literally zero wear.

If it isn't apparent in the picture, the back and front of the coin have full, unaltered detail, with sharp, crisp, and readable lettering, fine lines (bell, hair/face/neck), both under magnification AND not under magnification.

The moon, the bell, as well as the portrait on the front, all have a level of detail reflective of a high-grade mint state coin (from what I see). I feel like I am in the right ballpark with my evaluation; however, I am interested in hearing feedback on my grade (and hearing yours), as well as any additional designations; and, particularly, if possible, I would like your thoughts of the value of this coin.

I can't find any other coin like it (in terms of quality of grade, rarity, error, etc), and I hope to capitalize on the sale of it. I need the money to pay a couple attorneys; because, I am suing American Express for negligence and breach of contract - they mistakenly added 10k of debt to my rolling credit, boosting my utilization from 10% to 400% in one month. This happened during the beginning of COVID, right after I was furloughed from work.. Let's just say it has been a rough past couple months, and I have missed out on 3-5 million dollars in business opportunities.

And that's why I need to maximize the value of this coin, and I need the advice of those with more knowledge than me as to how I can get the best value from selling this coin. I have a dealer I am in touch with, and I am also connected to a number of online communities that may have possible buyers. They will want to know why I want so much for this coin, and I would appreciate advice on how I can explain/justify whatever my ask price is (assumed to be 15k+) based on historical examples, practical data, etc.

Thanks everyone in advance for taking the time to read and comment. Please let me know if you have any questions, and I'll be happy to participate in the discussion!! I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and I am excited to have found such an amazing coin!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1416 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome and sorry to hear about your issues with AExpress. (Lots of horror stories from people dealing with them.)

About the only way I can think of to maximize any sale is to have it slabbed (w/CAC sticker as well?).
No amount of cajoling will part a serious collector from their $ without third party verification.

Maybe contact Great Collections for them to slab and auction?
Where do you see hub doubling on this one?

(It may be superb in hand, but I don't see an MS67 or higher coin.)
Edited by Petespockets55
05/31/2020 06:54 am
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1758 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold plated, I have one exactly like this. Afraid it has no premium.

Posted it way back when.

http://goccf.com/t/328222

I don't really see the DDO.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Error Want List (Important): http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Edited by SilverCents
06/01/2020 12:07 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 263Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05