Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926 Lincoln Cent. Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 498Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  6:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a Lincoln cent I have. Just seeing what the consensus for a grade is on this friendly Abe. Pictures taken in natural light. Here ya go:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48796 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63RD.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13600 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm going to say MS-62 . Coin has some tiny issues indicating it was bounced around a couple of times . I don't think I would call it AU-58+ , but

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'am in the 63 camp
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey T-BOP.....don't know why I just noticed it, but do you have an association with VMA-214 (Black Sheep) now based in MCAS Yuma, AZ? I was up in their Ready Room some years back having a discussion with their Commanding Officer as we were stopping by to get some of their shirts, and other cool trinkets. Probably transitioned to the F-35 from Harriers by now. So just wondering.
Edited by BuyGuns
05/31/2020 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8865 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my first thought was MS63. I'm having a hard time with the fields looking like they were wiped with something. my eyes are seeing horizontal striations . maybe its the photos.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16494 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first I thought it might be cleaned as I couldn't see any luster. However, the extra pictures do show luster.

64RD (close to 65 IMO)
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes....I have the advantage of seeing it in hand. Have not cracked the code on the perfect pictures (lose brightness once uploaded), but this cent is as red and lustery as you can get, maybe save a few exceptional Cents. But zero evidence of cleaning. Though a sniffer could find something that is impossible for us to see. Still debating whether to get graded, but when standing next to the HA PCGS graded pictures via high definition photos, I can not see this cent less than MS65. But no way to truly know. If I send it, then we will all know.

I just may do it with next batch to see how everyone's grading accuracy is on this and other coins I am sending that have been given an opinion. Also for me to learn, based on similar quality pictures of other coins, what the average grade is here on CCF.

As an example...if the consensus is MS-63, and it comes back MS-63, then I know that whatever is noted here is about right. But if the average call out is MS-63 and they come back MS-65/66 (in fairness, probably due to picture quality), then I can factor that in for future grade predictions. Meh...it's just the method of my madness. Lol Glad to have CCF to come to rather than winging it. Thx for input.
Edited by BuyGuns
06/01/2020 3:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13600 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hey T-BOP.....don't know why I just noticed it, but do you have an association with VMA-214 (Black Sheep) now based in MCAS Yuma, AZ? I was up in their Ready Room some years back having a discussion with their Commanding Officer as we were stopping by to get some of their shirts, and other cool trinkets. Probably transitioned to the F-35 from Harriers by now. So just wondering.

No association with VMA-214 . Just a group of fellow coin collectors we call the Black Sheep .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I'll go with MS64. Hint of finger print on reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 with a shot at 65. Lovely coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16494 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your very last picture in this post is excellent. Notice how you showed the luster, see the cartwheel spokes? That's what you're after. Just need to crop them down and make them like that last picture.

Internet grading from pictures is very tricky for many reasons. The best thing to do is just consider them to be ballpark estimates and opinions. Don't waste your time taking them so seriously - to do so is little more than an exercise of futility.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey BadThad...yes sir. I understand. Like I noted, they were taken in natural light in a spot that about 5PM gives a nice ability to capture details. I did angle a few to get that hard to capture luster, cause I knew without it, grading much more difficult, and rightfully so. Still trying to crack the code of consistent pictures that provide a complete 'picture' of a coins condition. And as I said above, coin in-hand I have an advantage. Same for everyone else. But I'm working technique to translate that to future pictures.

As far as taking seriously, I figure once I get a group of graded coins that were opined on here at CCF, you all will see the results. Then see if there is a consistent 'average' of the consensus. Then apply that adjustment to future coins. I have been saying for the two years on here I was getting that done. Haha. But one thing after another in life just delayed it. Was ready in February. All packed up, ready for documentation.....and?......COVID! . Everything shut down. But ready again. Looking forward to the results.

Just an FYI...though delayed for many reasons to start my many submissions, the delay actually gave me time to learn far more, and change what I will grade and not grade. Much of that learning from here on CCF. So it worked in my favor. Though still a long way to go. But trial and error is a great learning method (as long as I don't go broke in the interim. JK). Anyway, thx for input.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ijn1994....I was wondering if anybody was going to point that out. I was going to note it, but being slightly discernable, I decided to see if anyone thought it would be an issue without my whining about it. Lol. You were the first to point it out. . But I have seen many fingerprinted coins with high grades. Some say it's a degrader. Maybe, but I don't think the TPG's will be bothered by it, unless it's glaring and in your face so to speak. But in reality, I would think it would be considered part of the natural aging process. Who knows. But good eye.
Edited by BuyGuns
06/01/2020 9:07 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP.....got it. Just a curiosity question, and if it were so, we could swap some war stories. Haha. Ok. But I get the coin Black Sheep Squadron callout. . Very cool. How do we join? lol. JK. I'll wait until I'm no longer a 'Pebble of the Community'. Let's see...what decade is this? .
Pillar of the Community
5119 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything okay here T-BOP?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05