Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 Gilded Coronation Crown - Genuine?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 295Next Topic  

Australia
13 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  03:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MonoJoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have in my posession a boxed "GB 1953 QEII Gilded Coronation Crown". Now I can find info on the 1953 crown itself but who would gild such a thing in gold? I've shown pics below with a fairly cheap looking box it came in, COA and the coin itself which looks lightly circulated.

Any information to it's origins or value would be helpful.

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7048 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  04:43 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a genuine crown with after-market gilding, perhaps produced in 2002-3 for the Golden Jubilee and the 50th anniversary of the Coronation. The 1953 crown isn't rare or expensive so a marketing company could easily have got hold of some to gild.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17075 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine. Post Mint gold plated (as indicated).
I like it! Unfortunately no numismatic value, but it does have some small collector value for those that like that sort of thing.
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking work, but this now falls into the category of a Bradford Mint collectible. No added numismatic value.
Valued Member
Poland
77 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just gonna add a note here - as a coin dealer mainly working in the UK market, these things sell shockingly well. Not huge money, but if I put this in my shop window in central London (not now, of course, as lockdown), this would be gone within 48 hours, and I'd expect to get 30-35 for it (retail, of course as with the nice box, etc). On the other hand, I have a proof 1893 crown in gorgeous shape in the window for 30-35% below auction asserted market value, and its been there over 6 months. Many coin collectors will turn their noses up at this type of thing, but I think it just goes to show that you can't ever ignore the wants of the masses.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48849 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting and thanks for sharing.

to the CCF!
Australia
13 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MonoJoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, great info. Big thanks to @norantyki for that in depth analysis. I suppose I could list on ebay.co.uk and see how well it goes. Cheers.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 295Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05