Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 50c - Your Opinion Is Needed Real Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 720Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  7:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

Scrolling through some auctions today and this popped up. It is being offered at a local estate auction. Before I make a colossus error and bid on this item, I would like to ask my friends here on there opinion.

Starting bid is $10,000.00.

Go for it or pass?

Thanks in advance

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4533 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
correct changes
Edited by john100
06/01/2020 8:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4533 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you not spend a 100 bucks to ICCS a key key date coin ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2872 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rim damage, looks legit to me, in vg 8, coin trends for 50,000$ makes me wonder why it isn't in a holder,.. wait for nickelsguy to confirm,,
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48698 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That says it well. Inconceivable why this is not in a holder.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/01/2020 9:12 pm
Valued Member
Canada
115 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Huck50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What makes it a key date..(only 206,398 minted?),or only 200 in existence? Thanks,H50
Dino-Lite AF4115ZT usb microscope
Edited by Huck50
06/01/2020 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
510 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks legit. And it's amazing to think that this coin was in circulation for at least fifteen years before someone pulled it out and set it aside.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact it isn't in a TPG is crazy to me and a huge red flag. But the chance to actually bid on this coin at a small local auction is almost too good to be true and we all now how that saying goes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1662 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would need better images or see it in hand before I personally would bid.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, they are providing the option to see it in hand by appointment only. But I wouldn't know what to look for besides weight. Any tips?
Learn More...
Canada
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I can see, all the markers of a legit 1921 50c are there. The last 1 of the date is in the right spot, the T in CENTS is somewhat weakly struck... it almost has a greenish look to it, which would be a light PVC discolouration maybe (something you just cannot put on a fake coin).

I also checked a bunch of past auctions, and could not find an example to match this one.

I think it is legit. And, the expert opinion of someone who has handled these rare dates agrees (I sent them the link to this thread).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made an appointment to view the coin and to my shock the seller arrived holding the coin in hand.

I weight the coin and it weighed 11.6 grams. Which I guess is correct with the wear of it. My 1919 50 cent weighed 11.33 grams, with similar wear, but I think in 1919 the 50 cent coin was at 90% silver compared to the 1921 coin which was at 80% silver.

Bidding is currently at 19k CAD. I decided on not being a player on this, but if you want to follow the auction, check out coach house auctions in Vaudriel-dorion, qc.

Thanks all for your help.
Learn More...
Canada
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still - it is pretty cool to think you once held a raw 1921 50c coin in your own hands... It should be interesting to see what this one will hammer down at.

PS - I also edited the title to reflect the content of this post.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
503 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did the auction end yet?

It looks real enough to my eye.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The auction is on the 21st. There is another 1921 50 cent grades fine-15 by ICCS in the current Torex auction. Starting bid is $65,000.00. Wow! Tell you the truth, the one above looks better to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4533 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you ask why this coin is not graded ?
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 720Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05