Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Going On With This Vicky 25 Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 629Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  6:34 pm Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The obverse is nice but what are all these lines? Don't really look like scratches since they are in the field but not on the devices.

Edited by John K
06/02/2020 6:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
489 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like scrathes to me. AU details imo
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think the only way this would happen is if the planchet got scratched afore it were struck. The marks (most anyways) don't go through the devices.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1448 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pattern looks too regular to be scratches. I wonder if it could be a struck-through error. But struck through what?

My first instinct would be some type of masking or packing tape, but those items weren't invented until the 1920s.

EDIT: What about cheesecloth?
Edited by fortcollins
06/02/2020 8:37 pm
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is super-weird. Has to be damage to the planchet prior to striking. I would doubt that it could be an interection with some otherwise benign material - those lines are very precise and regular...a machine made them. In fact some of them are double lines that are less than a mm apart and run perfectly parallel. Which sort of gizmo would have been in a mint in 1900 that could have done that? Something that would have been close to the action?

Fascinating.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
612 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tfred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the scratches were on the planchet, then the scratches would be across the devices as well. If the scratches were on the die, then the devices would be clean(since the devices would be incuse on the die). Also, if they were scratches on the die, then they would show up in the fields as raised lines. Bottom line, for me anyways, this is post mint damage. This coin is over 100 years old, it probably has some very interesting stories to tell.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tfred - I'm clearly confused. Can you explain why a scratch on the planchet would be expected to transfer to the devices? Seems to me that it should be the opposite....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3019 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the scratches are incuse (into the field), then it is some type of strange strike through. A scratch on the die wold be raised, which these appear not to be. A scratch on the plachet would be wiped out or flattened during the pressure from the die and definitely wouldn't be in/on the design. PMD would be through the raised design.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
612 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tfred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected on the planchet issue. What okiecoiner says makes more sense.
I still believe this to be PMD. Perhaps these are very old scratches and the scratch was on the devices, but are now worn, or flattened out. There are too many other scratches and marks that just leads me to believe that this coin had a rough life. I could be wrong, and will be eagerly watching for other replies.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4544 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simply a severe flawed on one sided planchet that got struck, seems like the mint at these times were very frugal, tried to save everything
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And no mention of the scratches on the slab!

Valued Member
Canada
441 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find the rim and denticles are very weak, on both sides, compared to my 1900. It looks like double, weak denticles and deformed rim, from 6:30 all around to 2:00.

I see evidence of doubling on the CENTS-date photo. Double-struck or repunched separately ? If double-struck, did something happen between the two strikes ?

or - Scratched set-up planchet with not enough pressure used so marks didn't get obliterated ?

or , ..... aliens? or worse, I hope not, but could it be counterfeit ?
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure it is real but weird. On older coins we would call those adjustment marks (filing planchet if it was over-weight)
Edited by John K
06/04/2020 8:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48979 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some sort of polishing marks, apparently done before the strike.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 629Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05