Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Worn Chinese Cash Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 367Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These cash coins are pretty worn. Wondering if anyone can ID the emperor?

The back of the top coin has a crescent on top and a dot on the bottom. The back of the bottom coin is plain.

Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
16368 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jay, that bottom one *might* be Shenzong (Northern Song Dynasty):

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces19403.html

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After exhaustive searching I think the bottom coin is actually emperor Gao Zong from the Southern Song Dynasty:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces43769.html]

Thoughts? I thought the top coin would be easier to identify!
Learn More...
United States
16368 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that one is a better fit--well done. I'll take a look in my Hartill tomorrow for your top one.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
16368 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jaym, sorry that it took me a little time to get to this, but I'm about 80% sure I've got a match for the top coin. Based on the use of seal script and oddly elongated bao (character on the left) plus the crescent and dot on the rev, I think that it was issued by Emperor Xiao Zong (1163-1190 AD). The specific attribution looks like Hartill 17.90 (not in numista, but here is a link to a German website with a pic: http://www.chinazeug.de/c1069.htm )

There are others here who are much better at these cast Chinese cash attributions than I am and I look forward to seeing what other folks think.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Link doesn't work Spence
Learn More...
United States
16368 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep sorry about that. The end parenthesis got glommed onto the hot link. Should be fixed now.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the first is this coin here with seal script, as Spence mentioned.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces216756.html

This is a three cash but the script is the same I think:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces140628.html
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Following your lead Spence, I definitely think this is Emperor Xiao Zong. In fact it after looking through all of the listings for Xiao Zong I think this may actually be 17.168. I was able to borrow a copy of the Hartill catalog :). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Learn More...
United States
16368 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was able to borrow a copy of the Hartill catalog :)

Ok very good--that is a super addition to your numismatic library.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely a very valuable and useful reference!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 367Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05