Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

For Those Who Collect The 5 Cent Canadian New Issues Each Year

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,006Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
94239 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5031 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your order is estimated to arrive Dec-02-2020.

I wonder if there is an issue with the RCM's colorization process on the latest batch of coins?

Another possibility, it could simply be a packaging inventory delay (it wouldn't be the first time a supplier caused a delay for the RCM!).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9284 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems, I don't think the colorization is the issue.

I got to thinking. Today my order is again delayed until Dec 23 2020.

There are supposed to be only 7,000 of these sets minted and I am sure that all of that number will be, and most likely already has been made.
mint_ca shows that 89% are SOLD which means 6230 are either ordered or gone.
There are two locations they can come from.
Ottawa Location - Not Available
Winnipeg Location - In Stock

The Winnipeg mint site says

Effective November 4th, the Winnipeg Boutique will close to support the work of public health authorities in combatting the spread of Covid-19. We understand the impact this may have on our valued customers, but our priority is the health and safety of our visitors and employees. More information about reopening will be posted here..

I don't think the number available (770 I suppose) has changed the last 3 delay updates I got.
I don't think my payment was actually charged to my credit card yet?
Therefore the exchange rate when I do get charged could be any amount.
That could be to my advantage or not if they charge when shipped.
I actually doubt that I will get this since they still show some are available.
According to the website, I can order it again, so for fun, I added 1 to cart but did not check out.

The cart says

2020 Pure Silver Coloured 6-Coin Set with Medallion
Canadian Circulation Collection - Mintage: 7,000

$199.95 CAD

No.177255
Ships Mar-15-2021

My first order from mint_ca is a terrible experience!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
11/20/2020 2:20 pm
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG

I am sorry to hear of your travails with the RCM. This has not been a banner year for them. I have had a number of coins whose ship dates have been pushed... I actually have the colourized set already as I believe the issue is in the shipping dept, not the manufacturing dept. My challenge is the $350 Gold Grizzly. At $4,800 after tax, it takes a decent hit on my credit card. The RCM process appears to be to place a hold on the card for the amount when the coin is ready to ship... If the coin does not ship, the hold is never converted to an actual purchase but it does consume credit capacity until the card processor releases the hold... Normally this is not an issue as a hold converts to a purchase and all is good however this particular coin has hit my credit card 6 times since I placed the order. At no time has it been pushed to a purchase and it hasn't yet shipped. At one point I had 3 concurrent holds (almost $15K of capacity) on my card. It is fortunate that I am not travelling right now as I normally use this card for business travel expenses and I wouldn't have that level of credit headroom.

In other news, how particular on your 5 cent collection... do you stick to the 22mm form factor? as there is a 1oz gold Victory 5c coin released https://www.mint_ca/store/coins/1-o...0|Shop-Gold& but it is the usual 30mm form factor that the 1 oz gold coins use.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9284 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you vonigohcr for your post. It's crazy trouble you are having compared to my small woes. What worries me is that this set I bought in June is still able to be bought but I am sure that they have to be bought up long ago over the delays.
Anyway, those large 5 cent issues don't grab me, especially at the price. They just aren't nickels IMO.
I think I have a small fish scale type set of 4 coins and then 225 different 22 mm 5 cent Canadian issues.
I do have a couple varieties but I don't really worry about a bald belly beaver.
My early years are not uncirculated but are nice examples.

I hope your $350 (Really $4,800) Gold Grizzly comes out of hibernation soon!
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9284 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2020 Pure Silver Coloured 6-Coin Set with Medallion
Canadian Circulation Collection - Mintage: 7,000

Apparently my set ordered 06-16-20 shipped today 12-04-20 per email from mint_ca
I sure hope all coins and pkg are in high quality condition upon arrival expected 12-23-20.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9284 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My package is "Out for Delivery" today. Ho Ho Ho!
Took 162 days since I ordered and that is, if it does make it here today.
This will make the checklist for the FIVE 2020 5 Cent varieties to read as

1. 2020 Elizabeth II from mint set
2. 2020 King George VI 75th Anniversary Victory Silver Proof
3. 2020 Elizabeth II Specimen (Reverse proof-like)
4. 2020 King George VI 75th Anniversary Victory Nickel plated Steel Proof
5. 2020 Silver King George VI 75th Anniversary Victory Proof Colorized Reverse

vonigohcr I hope you got your Gold Grizzly!

My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5031 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Took 162 days since I ordered and that is, if it does make it here today.

I feel for you.

Back on October 16, 2009, I ordered two of the high-relief "The Sun" silver dollars via the RCM web site. Due to production issues, they were not shipped until March 10, 2010. I received them just under two weeks later. It was 158 days from order to arrival! Not quite what you've experienced, but close - and from 10 years ago!

Happy for you that your set is arriving!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
12/24/2020 11:29 am
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG;

The gold grizzly did eventually arrive... this Tuesday; thanks for asking. So ordered Oct 27, delivered Dec 22 = 56 days... Not so bad, my colourized set took 140 days; the biggest issue I had on the Grizzly was that the RCM put multiple concurrent holds on my card.. each time they got close to shipping it.

Apparently the issue at the mint was that the shipping department was running slowly because of workplace distancing requirements with a number of planned shipments just not getting out the door and every day replanning the goals for the day; if you were replanned for the late afternoon over multiple days then it stands to reason that your shipment takes forever to get shipped. The the case of the Grizzly, the delay was also compounded by Canada Post who published four different dates for delivery and the item went through a phase of "Item Delayed" which in Canada Post language is often synonymous with "Item Lost"... but ultimately found and delivered; all's well.

With Ontario returning to a full scale lockdown on Dec 26, I wonder what will happen at the mint and whether the January releases will be impacted... I am not sure that I would classify the NCLT division of the RCM as an "essential service". The website isn't saying anything yet but there was a significant delay thanks to the shutdown in March and you could argue that the delays we are dealing with today are in part a hangover from that shutdown... I am assuming this will be a repeat/extension.

On a somewhat related note... I would like to thank all of the folks I routinely converse with on this forum... As this hobby becomes less popular, it is harder to find kindred spirits and this forum broadens the reach; I truly enjoy the dialogue... Have a Happy New Year and may 2021 be better for all than 2020 ultimately was.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9284 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good news for all! Glad you guys got your stuff straightened out too.

My poor updated images have replaced the ones a couple posts earlier. They look much better than my pictures.
I guess next year I will be buying sets instead of singles just to get the 5 cent coins. I suppose the extra single denominations could make up for the cost of my buying one 5 cent coin at a time.
Looking at what these sell for individually, I should be better off with a set and have the option to sell off what I don't want.
I'll know better than to be in a hurry to get them though.
I hope that people in this world don't get too used to not working because of this or that.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
94239 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,006Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05